+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bathroom tile

Default Bathroom tile

I am planning to tile (using stone or ceramic) my shower surround. I have a component shower in place and I want to tile the upper portions, the ceiling above the shower, and some trim work.

Question 1: in order to tile the ceilng, do I have to use a special adhesive when gluing the tile sections to the ceiling and NOT having them fall off ?

Question 2: is there any benefit in using a smaller tile section (like a 1/2" square or 1" square tile) over a larger size tile ? granted these tiles are pre-fixed to a grid and are 12" square.

Default Re: Bathroom tile

Brian,

The first thing to consider is the waterproofing in your shower. By component shower do you mean a factory made fiberglass type unit? If yes, then the tiling shouldn't require waterproofing. If there is no pre-fab unit, then ignore the rest of this post and head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum.

You will be best served using a thinset to adhere those tiles. They type you buy in a bag, and mix with water. Since you listed natural stone as an option, white thinset (and not grey) will work better for lighter color stones. The same thinset will work for the tiles on the ceiling.

The larger the tile the less you'll notice the walls are not perfectly square or plumb. But more importantly, what does Mrs Brian want?