+ Reply to Thread

Default Toilet Splashes all over the places when flush

I have replaced my main floor toilet bowl last week. The bowl is Alexis Dual Flush High Efficiency Toilet that I got from local Samís club. It appeared to work fine at first impression, however, upon using it for a couple of days, I found a serious problem that I can not bare with.
    When I flush the toilet, water splashes so severely that water (and what is in the bowl of course!) goes all over the places.
    Investigating the problem, I found that there is a lot of air pushing out from the hole that is located at the bottom of bowl (there are two ways for water to come out of reservoir when toilet is flushed, one is around the perimeter at the top bowl, and the other small hole located at the bottom of bowl? You know what I am trying to say?)
    Further assessing the toilet on why there is an air entrapment in the bowl is that it looks like all of the water left in the bowl after each flush (that keeps sewer gas) slowly sucked out of the bowl within 2 ~ 3 minutes! No, water is not siphoning out. There is about 6 inch deep of water in the bowl. Once the water flow settles and stops after flush, I can see the left over water is slowly, slowly disappearing. I think this is due to the vacuum from sewer gas vent is actually sucking the water out.
    So after all of this left over water in a bowl is gone, now youíve got the airway! And air is introduced inside the toilet. When the toilet is flushed, the air inside gushes out, make splash water (and those other things!) all over the place.
    Leaving no air barrier between the bowl and sewer gas vent actually leaves me second concern on the heating/air conditioning of the house, as warm/cool house air continuously sucked out of house. However, my primary concern now is that I can not use this toilet without fear of water (and those things!) splashes all over the place every time I flush it. This has never happened with old bowl that is already long gone. And I donít really want this bowl taken out and back to the store yet. Please help us so that we can relieve ourselves in peace!!!

Thanks!

Default Re: Toilet Splashes all over the places when flush

I'm having a hard time following your description of your problem.
    But let's see:
    - who installed this new toilet. How did he install it?
    - where exactly is the water coming out from?

You mentioned that the old toilet functioned OK, so I assume that your drain is fine.

Generally speaking, you may have 1 or 2 problems here:

1. Faulty installation or faulty wax ring, one that doesn't create a total seal.

2. Defective toilet bowl - rare, but possible - there could be a crack in the toilet, even a hairline crack can cause this.

Did you really expect to get a good toilet from Sam's Club? Stick with name brands you will be far better off in the long run.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Did you really expect to get a good toilet from Sam's Club? Stick with name brands you will be far better off in the long run.

John
    But Walmart* carries only the highest of quality items, how can this be possible?**

*Sam's and Walmart are one in the same companies and carry identical products.
    **Something only a Walmart shopper say.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

John and Spruce made a good point: you don't buy a toilet in a department store. You buy a toilet from a plumbing supply store.

Too late for you, you have to deal with what you got, unless you return it for a refund, or if you damaged it - throw it away and buy a new one.

There are many excellent toilets still made in USA. Find one and enjoy it.

However, I still think that the problem could be in the wax bowl.

Thank you for the replies!!!
    Can anyone explain me one thing that why the retained water in a bowl, not in the tank, won’t hold its level? Like I mentioned in my original posting, water is sucked out of bowl due to a vacuum created from plumbing vent. This did not happen with my old toilet, or any other one in my house. Two feet away, I have a bathroom facet, which connected to the same vent line, holds water at the u-trap as expected. Just wondering why the vacuum effects only on this new toilet and sucks out the retain water?
    I installed it, but didn’t do anything on the plumbings. I do not see any water stain that I can see from my basement, and as the retained water is vacuumed out of bowl, I don’t think there is any leak around wax ring.
    Last edited by great4702; 01-28-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typing error

As the water is sucked out, when the top of the water reaches the top of the dip (the U-shaped part of the trap), does it go "glug glug glug," does it stop there, or does it continue dropping?

If it goes "glug glug glug" then you definitely have a blocked vent. The toilet probably has a separate vent from the sink; that's why the sink doesn't go down. The blockage could be between where the vent pipe joins the sewer pipe (under the floor and behind the toilet) and where the vent pipe joins the rest of the venting system.

If there is no "glug glug glug" or if it continues dropping, you may have a faulty toilet.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 01-28-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks for the reply. My problem is after the "glug, glug, glug". After the glug, and as water is being refilled, my bowl (again, I don't mean a tank! but of course my tank is also being filled at the same time) is filled back up to about 6" deep with no problem. When re-filling action is completed, the level of retaining water starts decrease from 6". As I mentioned, vacuum pressure from the vent somehow got higher than what the retaining water can hold, and the retaining water is sucked out very slowly (takes about 2 minute to finally reveal the top of dip). Like I said, my old one did not have this problem and I did not alter any part of plumbing.

If this happened to me, I would waste no time, take it back to Sams for a full refund, then run over and get an American made Kohler or Eljer, Mansfield or Crane, even American Std AND a new wax ring from one of the stores that sells plumbing supplies. Chinese toilets are great. In China.

Good luck.

What DJ said,

but first slowly pour some water into the bowl. Then hang a "don't flush" sign.