+ Reply to Thread

Question tin ceiling tiles! help 1st time!

kitchen ceiling is 13.5 ' x 13.5 '; starting in the middle of the room, as we have medallions in the design & lites coming thru the middle of them over the island. have already up there, sub ceiling & 2 layers of drywall. want to put up 2 x 2' tin ceiling tiles; during the overlapping, what happens when 4 corners meet - do u not have 4 layers of tin @ that point? how do u get around that so it doesnt look thicker than the other places? also, with the ceiling as described above, is it necessary to STILL apply more sub-ceiling? i am using adhesive & brad nails to apply the tiles. help????

Default Re: tin ceiling tiles! help 1st time!

Hi, for one of my first jobs I installed 1600 sq. ft of tin ceiling and cornice in a restaurant. I did it by the book, over wood furring strips applied on the 2'x4' grid of the panels. Yes at a corner there's 4 plies of metal, but it's 19 gauge so pretty thin. You need to predrill there so the nail goes through easier. You use a block of wood to set the joints tight by tapping along the edge, and then caulk the seams. It's really easy, just mind the sharp edges, I still have a scar after 30 years.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

If you think about the main viewing angles, place the tiles in overlapping fashion so you can't see the leading edges. Then the 4 layer buildup will not matter so much.

If you use an air powered stapler there will be no need to pre-drill. Adjust the air pressure to depth.

Caulk = latex sin forgiver

I was using the original tin ceiling nails. They have domed/conical heads to emulate the beads along the edges of the panels. Air nailer my a$$!! I still had a small jar of them until last year when I used them up on a repair job at a house museum.
    W.F.Norman, Nevada, Missouri was the manufacturer.They were an original factory from the olden times still in business.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.