+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Finishing thresholds and transitions between tile and maple hardwood

I am struggling on the best way to finish several transitions between maple hardwood and tile at a family cottage. We cut pieces for the transition, but I don't know what to coat them with to protect them. The second part is I need to determine the best coating for the thresholds and the quarter round in front of the thresholds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(struggling to add photos...)

Default Re: Finishing thresholds and transitions between tile and maple hardwood

To post photos, you need to host them off-site and link them here.

I would need a picture because you don't normally install thresholds through interior doors, the flooring is carried through the doorway with a T-molding transition that covers where the edges of the tile and wood meet. The T-mold would be finished with the same finish as the rest of the floor, likely an oil based polyurethane.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Finishing thresholds and transitions between tile and maple hardwood

I couldn't get the photos to post directly, so here are the links. Two show door thresholds opening to a deck and the third shows the transitions between tile and hardwood. The wood has been finished/sealed but I do not have any of what the flooring company used to seal it, so I am looking for advice on my options! Thanks!

http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1
    Last edited by WINT142000; 01-27-2013 at 07:49 PM.

how long ago was the floor finished if recently just contact the sales guy you went through. they should be able to tell you exactly what product they used and where to get it
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I agree with jkirk. But if you can't find your answer from the installer. You're best bet is to have someone locally come give you some help if you need an exact match in finish. It's hard to tell exactly what kind of finish from a picture.

Most wood floors are an oil-based polyurethane, but if you used a water-based urethane (polycrylic) that would be fine too. There isn't much difference in the final product. You'll want to apply 3 coats if the transitions are bare wood, since that is what most floors get when they're site finished.

i agree with scott. the hard part about custom finishes now is that some people want stain thats not exactly as it comes out of the can , they want a blend which may require adding a small amount of stain that has more red or more brown in it

do not use "polyeurathane gel coats".. its stain and varathane mixed together.. if your first coat isnt the exact color you want you cant make it darker, it seals the wood.. thats why pro finishers do 1 or 2 coats of stain first. then do the clear coat sepearete.. most often they do 2 initial sealers coats, then the trimmers come back run the baseboard and any other small trim details that were missed.. then the floor finisher does 1 or 2 more finish coats to the floor and its given back to the homeowner
    fire up the saw and make some dust