+ Reply to Thread

Default Cost of Rough-In Plumbing

I'm trying to put a budget together to convert an old kitchen into a master bathroom and need a ball park estimate for rough-in work. When we built our addition, our plumber charged approximately $400 per fixture/drain rough-in work.

I don't want to waste a plumber's time coming out here to look at it, but I'm sure there has to be some rule of thumb to figure out what it might cost. I'm assuming its easier and better to cap off the old galvanized pipes than to try to tap into the old stuff. I can also open the floor in the room to make it easier for a plumber to do the work.

Our new addition is all Pex tubing and I want to continue it to the new bath. I'm planning on a bath tub, shower, toilet and double sink. The house was built in 71 and the room in question is right near the new water line and septic drain.

Default Re: Cost of Rough-In Plumbing

a lot of it has to do with where in the country you live. prices vary greatly. in the greater boston area for new construction, meaning rough drain work from the basement up through the roof and the water supply from the basement to the fixtures and installation of all plumbing fixtures it averages about $1,500 per fixture. so for a bathroom, sink, toilet and shower you're looking at about $4,500. if you're simply updating and fixtures are staying in the same location it will be considerably cheaper.

you will have to contact a local plumber and get a quote.. as mentioned labor rates vary from region to region. call a few plumbers and get quotes from them. dont go with the cheapest but dont go with the most expensive, chose the one who you fell the most comfortable with
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Last time you paid $400. This time expect to pay more, cause this time you'll need a new 3" waste line for the toilet. How much more? it all depends on how difficult it would be to connect.

This gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect. I also agree that the lowest bid isn't always the best one to go with. I'd rather pay more to get the job done right the first time. Thank all of you for your information.