+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacement vinyl windows

I am looking for suggestions on the best replacment vinyl windows that would offer not only energy efficiency but better sound proofing than my builder grade windows. Live in a townhome and just people talking outside, I can hear them.

Default Re: Replacement vinyl windows

Residential windows can't give you total sound insulation.

Have you ever been to a busy airport? of course you have. The terminal has special glass (maybe 1" thick) and you can still hear jet sound.

A more realistic goal may be reduced sound and energy efficiency, that can be achieved with a combination of beefed up walls and better windows. Not cheap.

In addition, I just had a client who replaced two patio sliding doors to combat traffic noise. These were 10' wide x 8' tall sliders.

The sliders were $4,000 each installed, really state of the art, nice quality, custom made by Milgard.

They cut the noise by about 70%.

i believe that anderson makes a triple paned window that is supposed to help with noise. check at their website.

of course you can go with one of the big name window manufacturers.. anderson, marvin, pella or you can get a local window manufacturer to do so.. just check you local yellow pages for window and entry system suppliers
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I installed some american craftsman windows from HD the 3100 series I think, and the customer complained she could no longer hear the birds singing on her windowsill.

lol. nice one houston.. complained that the product they wanted was too effective..

its like the good type of contractor gets as opposed to the fix something you did callback.. the good one where "we have more money come do this now"
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

Thanks,