+ Reply to Thread

Default Cost to rewire duplex

I'm looking at buying a 1930, 2860sq ft, duplex in Houston. I love the location and will be living in the top floor while leasing out the bottom.

It currently has an aluminum electrical system that would need to be rewired. Given the size of the house what would you estimate the cost to do such a thing at?

I've also read where you can hire an electrician to come out and change the connections where the aluminum wiring connects to the outlets to Copalum connections. Is this a good alternative to keep the cost down?
    Last edited by FlyingTexan; 01-25-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Default Re: Cost to rewire duplex

For estimates, call local electricians. We can't give an estimate because we don't live near you.

A re-wire job is pretty involved, and won't be cheap. You may want to change your main panel at the same time, which is a job for a licensed electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    For estimates, call local electricians. We can't give an estimate because we don't live near you.

A re-wire job is pretty involved, and won't be cheap. You may want to change your main panel at the same time, which is a job for a licensed electrician.
    True,, and if you're going to lease out a portion you will need three meters..one for each occupancy and one for the "common" areas (but,maybe they will let you put the common areas on your meter.

Also, it would actually be cheaper to tear down all the sheetrock, rewire w/ copper, do any necessary firewalls, firestopping, exit and emergency lighting, smoke/co detectors, maybe sprinklers, then re-rock.

You might want to talk to your inspection dept. first then relay what they say to the prospective electricians or put them in touch w/ the guy you talked to.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Aluminum? In 1930? I thought that problem came to be in the late 60's early 70's, unless a rewire had done it.

It is a 1930 duplex with aluminum yes. I doubt I would tear down all the sheet rock and don't see any reason for a sprinkler system. It's just for me and one person below me. There are no common areas everything is split. I was thinking there may have been some price per sq foot for the job.

The reason for the upgrades are determined by the local housing authority. Once you start renting to folks you fall under a whole nuther set of rules and regulations. In Texas we are required to have special locks on exterior doors not usually found on homes for example.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The reason for the upgrades are determined by the local housing authority. Once you start renting to folks you fall under a whole nuther set of rules and regulations. In Texas we are required to have special locks on exterior doors not usually found on homes for example.
    Very true Houston. In a way it's good way to control big apt. owners but in the case of the OP renting to a friend or relative maybe the AHJ can cut him some slack. What he wants to do could be very simple and in-expensive or a bureaucratic nightmare.

Maybe the OP will report back how they handled him.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content