+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Filling gap between molding pieces

no worries. locally my hd has hired several guys who know their stuff, i have no quarrels asking them about tools but as for materials no thanks.. . most of the work i do is high end custom stuff which means not buying through big box stores.

the last thing i asked them was about the paslode 18 gauge nailers that were marked down in price quite substantially.. wondering if they were getting rid of the paslode line because id buy 2 of em right now if i had the cash on me...as the paslode f 18-200 18 gauge is easly the best mass produced pinner on the market.. all the other guns are junk.. basically said if i cant get that gun in 6 months im switching to the grex green buddy which ill have to buy ******.. he never heard of grex.. or occidental leather toolbelts or stilleto hammers .. (sorry im a hardcore tool junky)
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The head plumbing guy at my local HD is a licensed master plumber. Go figure.

I freely admit that back in my contracting days when I had serious carpentry to do and wanted premium stock, I went to the old family run lumber yard. If I needed really fine hardwoods, there was a specialty yard for that too with every species of wood known to man, or it seemed.

For my paint, I traded with the local small chain which had knowledgeable people who would have a called in order ready for me in the 20 minutes it took to get to the store. If they were busy and I needed an item off the shelf, I would grab it , hold it up and say "I'm taking this". they would wave back and say "got ya". Try that at your local big box store!

I did buy various sundries and equipment at Home Depot or even Sam's, but for everyday paint and special orders, I went to the local paint store.

For power tools, I always went to Berland's House of Tools in the Chicago area. Where HD would have a half dozen belt sanders, Berland's would have a whole row full of them, and nothing but quality makes. Sure they cost more, but quality costs.

Curiously, I recently was in Germany and went to the local big box store which looked strangely like Home Depot down to the orange color scheme, but had no relation. I noticed that the German store carried the green housing Bosch tools. We only see the blue housing pro grade Bosch tools here in the US. I asked the salesman why this was so. He said it was cost. The Blue housing Bosch tools were only available at pro stores catering to craftsman in Germany.

I guess they want to uphold their reputation for quality overseas. Germany lives or dies by its exports.

your right about the quality of german tools.. you want to see high quality look into festool
    fire up the saw and make some dust