+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Filling gap between molding pieces

Hi, all - this is my first post here (be nice). I have a 1921 "jumbo" Chicago style bungalow in Oak Park, Illinois. The dining and living rooms have the original plaster walls and (what I believe to be) original trim and molding.

My terminology on this is lacking (I lived in a new build condo until 2 years ago), but there is crown molding that starts very high on the wall and extends into the ceiling, giving a similar effect to that of a tray ceiling. I believe that part is original. Below that, on the wall, however, they then added another trip of molding about 4 inches tall. I think this was added later and I have no idea why. It seems to have been there for a very long time, I just don't think it's been there since 1921. Around most of the rooms, a gap has opened between these two moldings. In some spots, it's negligible, in others it's wide enough to slide my fingers in. I can see that behind the gap, the plaster is mostly crumbled and gone.

So that was a lot of words to ask - how do I fill this gap?? I think it's too big for a simple caulk job. And the lack of plaster behind it, makes it seem like it would be difficult to fill.

Thanks!

Default Re: Filling gap between molding pieces

They make a product just for this called "backer rod" it comes in different widths, all about finger diameter, in 3 or 6 foot lengths or so. You can find it in the caulking aisle or the weather stripping aisle.

Shove is in just past the surface. Fill the remaining area with latex caulk. Let that cure a week or so. Caulk again if needed as latex caulk shrinks as it cures. Prime and paint when the level is as full as you'd like.

Use Bondo for the repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcJZobAnAvI
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

gizmo's right. you cant use latex caulk for anything bigger than 1/4".. it will shrink in no time and stick out like a sore thumb

bondo drys rock hard and wont shrink or flex.. only thing is it requires a fair amount of tooling why its active then sanding once cured to look right
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Well, I only read the first reply before I was off the Lowes, so I got backer rod and caulk. Although, Lowes had no idea what backer rod was and I had to google it to for them to figure it out, LOL. So far though, it looks pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. Thanks!

Yay.

Bondo doesn't move like your house does. The latex will have some give.

Quote Originally Posted by manda99 View Post
    Well, I only read the first reply before I was off the Lowes, so I got backer rod and caulk. Although, Lowes had no idea what backer rod was and I had to google it to for them to figure it out, LOL. So far though, it looks pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. Thanks!

Why aren't we surprised that LOWE'S employees don't even know what's in their store?

lol dj.. you couldnt be more right.. when i have to go into big box stores for materials its scary.. someone comes up to me and asks if i need anything.. "yes, for you to go away " unless its a old guy who's a retired tradesman whos working there now because their body is to broken down to do the work day in day out anymore

it really scares me when i see some of the young employees telling customers how to build something or what to use... 90% of the time it would never pass an inspection
    fire up the saw and make some dust

This is why I tell folks to restrict their questions to ones that begin with,

"where can I find the...."

jkirk,

Now you are getting personal. That description of the "retired tradesman" hit too close to home! That other "big box" store has been a good fit for me.

You are correct about the public's perception. Unfortunately, it is still too often true, although the present CEO and administration has taken efforts to try to undo the damage done by the former.