+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default water not up to second floor

I replaced my toilet. To do this, I needed to shut off all water to the house. Its like almost 100 years old and everything doesnt have shut off valves. I shut off the hot water heater and drained it etc.
    Now the toilet works fine. There is good hot water in basement and first floor. There is NO hot water on the second floor. The pressure was lower before but now there is no hot water.I also cook with gas and heat with gas. The water in the kitchen and basement is very hot.Thanks for any iseas on how to get hot up to the second floor.

Default Re: water not up to second floor

i didn't understand your email completely. do you have a bathroom on the second floor? was the toilet you replaced on the second floor? are you installing a bathroom on the second floor? getting water up to the second floor shouldn't be a big deal, i guess the question is what's it for and how are you going to drain water from the second floor if there's no plumbing up there?

The toilet I replaced was in the second floor bathroom. It has a tub and sink. The first floor is the kitchen and the basement, a laundry and shower. I had to turn off the water as there are no shut off valves installed up there.

Maybe it would be easier to say that only the cold water made it back to the second floor

Is your water pressure lower since you turned the water back on?

not at all. Just a total lack of hot water on the second floor

Any ideas how to find out what this is? I did take the bathtub shower hose and place it in the spigot but the water came out in the sink. Then I realized the hot and cold BOTH use the same spigot and drain. Duh It seems like the problem is between the first and second floor. The hot water faucet in the sink hhas nothing at all come out. he faucet in the tub has nothing at all come out-no water at all. The cold works.

The kitchen faucet on the first floor has both water that is cold and hot. Same in the basement.

So it really isnt only that the hot water doesnt come there, it is there isno waterfrom any of thwe two hot water faucets

The pressure should really be strong enough to get water to the second floor of your home. Call for your plumber and have him check your system just to make sure. He should be able to find out what’s wrong or if something need repair. In the meantime, take your bath downstairs.
    Last edited by marf1273; 08-17-2009 at 05:09 AM.

I would agree on the low pressure possibility---it usually takes at least 15-20 psi to lift the water to the 2nd floor taps---each psi of water pressure lifts the water 2.31 feet.

Buy a low cost psi gauge at HD/Lowe's & attach it to a hose bib on the 1st floor & make sure you get at least 12-15 psi on the gauge.---50 to 60 psi is normal pressure for residential water taps.

Recheck all the valves you shut off when servicing the toilet, to make sure you turned them all the way back on---sometimes the main shutoff is a gate valve that partially fails when it's disturbed.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 05-13-2009 at 11:57 AM.

You said you shut off the water heater and drained it to replace the toilet. You may have knocked something loose inside the valve to the heater when you did this. It may have lodged in the bracnch line to 2nd floor bathroom Since this is an old house probably galvanized water pipe