+ Reply to Thread

Default painting unfinished wood paneling- need help!

Hi, I am painting some unfinished wood paneling. i have done one coat of primer and in the process of doing the second. for some reason the primer is turning a yellowish color! it certainly isnt white. does anyone know what im doing wrong and how to fix this problem?

Default Re: painting unfinished wood paneling- need help!

The primer could be activating stains or tannin in the wood, causing the discoloration.

What kind of wood is it and how long has it been unfinished?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i only own the house for 3 years but its prob unfinished for years... i have no idea what type of wood it is but it has no grooves its completely flat. do you have any solution to this?
    i actually called home depot and they told me that its normal.... im just concerned that when i put the actual color on the wall itll be different then the other walls because of the tint underneath.

What are you using for primer, you may want to switch to a stain blocking primer or pigmented shellac.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i used the kilz2 latex primer. i think that may have been the problem after doing some reading it seems maybe i need to use a oil based primer. whats ur opinion on this?

it could also be nicotine.

The oil based primer or shellac based will work well. Zinsser makes a very good one.

thanx so much for your help. does the paint also have to be oil based?

Not with the Zinsser, you'll need to read the label of the specific primer you buy.

yes,, you have to use the shellac based primer. i used zinsners B.i.n primner it will seal the knots so the oils dont keep bleeding through the primer and the paint. if you dont use oil based the knots will show up no matter how many coats you put on
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Both nicotine and tannins are water soluble. A Water based primer will have trouble blocking these stains. Use of an oil or shellac based primer will solve the problem. A bonus is that they also will not lift the grain of the wood as much as a water based primer. They also sand easier.