+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cracked Kitchen Sink Pipe

Hello - I noticed one of the pipes under my sink has a small crack in it. It's not too bad as I've got a pail under it and that catches it. It's a dual sink and the one that's cracked is the one that goes from the second sink into the main pipe. I just wondering what a ballpark figure would be to have someone come out and repair this? I don't know anything about plumbing and would want it done properly anyway. I know the details are limited, but any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Cracked Kitchen Sink Pipe

You can fix it yourself for right close to $6.

A plumbers will start over $100. If you want to stimulate the economy, call the plumber. Otherwise, remove the cracked pipe and take it to the hardware store where they will have replacements. You might have to cut it to length, but that's easy and you can just copy the length of the other one.

If you are not sure, watch youtube videos. You will need basic hand tools and good hands. Still not sure? call a handyman.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure it's not rocket science, but I don't have much experience with doing this stuff and I would want to do it the right way. Do you have any links for the YouTube videos? Thanks again.

Let me teach you how to find things:
    Go to youtube.com
    Click the subject you want.
    Watch vids.

Here's a better advice: hire a handyman and get the job done.

How to find a handyman? Go to craigslist or similar classified.

As DJ suggests, a handyman will be much cheaper than a plumber. This type of work is simple and probably wouldn't require a permit unless you are in a condo with an uptight HOA.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Put down the crack(ed) pipe. Somebody had to say it...
    A lot of times the chromed brass tubing corrodes/dissolves from the inside leaving just a tissue-thin chrome plating. It can stay intact until bumped.
    You'll need a pipe wrench to break the fitting at the wall, but trap replacement is pretty low-skill. If it still leaks, keep the bucket!
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Here is a video on how to install a sink drain, it includes a GD but the fundamentals are the sane.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykikb_7Fxx4

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

This is why we like plastic drain pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Let me teach you how to find things:
    Go to youtube.com
    Click the subject you want.
    Watch vids.

Here's a better advice: hire a handyman and get the job done.

How to find a handyman? Go to craigslist or similar classified.
    Are you always this much fun to be around?

Thanks all for the replies. As much as I hate to admit it, it probably looks like it's beyond what I'd like to do and like I said, I prefer that it gets done right. I'll probably find someone to do. I can't imagine it'd be too expensive. Thanks again.