+ Reply to Thread

Default Changing a Bathtub to a Shower

I've watched many videos no on taking out a bathtub and putting in a shower. I've looked at the manufactured tile ready shower pans on line and can estimate I'll be spending about $650 on that product. Based on your expertise, am I better off building one from scratch or purchasing one of these bases? Time wise, it looks much faster, but compared to the conventional methods of building one, am I really saving much money?

If you were doing it for yourself, what would you do?

Default Re: Changing a Bathtub to a Shower

The lure of the tile ready pans is the inference they will not leak. Now while the pan itself may not leak, you still need to build a curb, and maybe a seat, and maybe a niche, and then there is the glass doors / shower curtain to consider.

You'll save some serious cash if you do your own 'mud bed' as the materials cost about $20. Plus you can waterproof the walls, niche, bench, curb and floor outside the shower into one integrated surface.

Head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum where you can read the extensive library, start your own project thread, post pictures, and get answers tailored to your specific home. Pretty coll huh?

Tell them we sent you and they sill owe us fresh donuts. The last ones were stale.

Default Re: Changing a Bathtub to a Shower

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The lure of the tile ready pans is the inference they will not leak. Now while the pan itself may not leak, you still need to build a curb, and maybe a seat, and maybe a niche, and then there is the glass doors / shower curtain to consider.

You'll save some serious cash if you do your own 'mud bed' as the materials cost about $20. Plus you can waterproof the walls, niche, bench, curb and floor outside the shower into one integrated surface.

Head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum where you can read the extensive library, start your own project thread, post pictures, and get answers tailored to your specific home. Pretty coll huh?

Tell them we sent you and they sill owe us fresh donuts. The last ones were stale.
    I think that is some pretty good advice. I'm seeing a lot of forum write ups pointing back to John Bridge Tile Forum so I think I'll be registering there too. Thank you for the advice.