+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hot water loop

Default hot water loop

I'm remodeling my #2 bathroom, going from 2 sinks to one. When I opened the walls , I noticed that both hot water lines had extra capped ( one had a small hole in it ) lines attached . I did not attach either extra line to new single sink. Now when I turn on water to #2 bathroom , I lose hot water to whole house. Do I need to add one of the extra lines to new hot water line to sink ?

Default Re: hot water loop

Hard to determine without seeing what you have. Maybe the now disconnected pipe continued further to other faucets.
    Try it, what do have to lose?

The extra pipes may have been hammer arrestors.

Sounds like you accidentally looped the hot and cold together somehow, if through the valve.....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The extra pipes may have been hammer arrestors.
    When my #2 Bath Toilet tank fill shuts off, the fill valve closing causes a relatively loud shuttering noise. When filling, the rushing water sound is very noticeable, but no "clanging" as if the pipe was not secured.

Would a hammer arrestor help ??

I plan to re-model the bath, so would open up the wall then.

t_manero

First, try a cheap solution: replace your fill valve with a Fluid Master or similar valve, to see if your problems go away.
    Later, when you open the wall, you can go to step 2, if needed.

Thank-You guys for the replys. I better explain further. I have the walls open,I do not have any fixtures hooked up . Just the pipes , with shut offs on. I was doing a leak test before putting up walls. I just elimated one sink with pipes . Both hot water lines were connected together, and both had hammer resisters on there lines . There was no returns going back to water heater. Just the hammer resisters. So went from main hot water line to one sink . Then when I shut off water to #2 bathroom, I took off the cap to shower valve ( used for testing only ), and there was a trickle of water coming out and it was warm. So I replaced the shut off on the main line which goes to bathroom and will try the test again. Captainmuscle11

captain,
    Snap a photo and send it to us if you can. One way is by an outside site like photobucket.