+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating Heat Pipes?

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a 1953 cape on Long Island. Currently none of the 1" hot water heat pipes are insulated. Anyone have any thoughts on insulating these pipes or not to? I hear people recommend sometimes to insulate and sometimes not to insulate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it is recommended to insulate these pipes, what type of insulation would you use?

Pat

Default Re: Insulating Heat Pipes?

If the pipes are in a heated space there is no need to insulate them. If they run though un-heated space then insulate them. Having pipes buried in regular batt insulation is good too.

That poly foam pipe insulation is nice. Do NOT use ordinary duct tape as it falls apart in a few years. Use aluminum metal tape $12 a roll, and snug zip ties.

The basement is unheated. The sills aren't even insulated right now but I don't want to insulate the sills until I am finished with all of the remodeling.

Thanks,

Pat

are you sure you have 1" water supply pipes? if you do it must take about 2-3 minutes to get how water at the faucet.

They are probably 3/4" pipes which don't measure exactly 3/4"

The hot water lines for the running water are 1/2". The hot water lines for the heating system are 1"

Pat