+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Switchable Outlets

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    So is it standard to only have the outlet be half switched? I am in the process of changing out my cloth wrapped romex to 12-2 w/g and want to make sure my one switched outlet is done right.
    Looks like I need to buy even more 12/3 to go along with the switch loops I need to improve upon in my bathroom.
    I'ts fairly common in LR, BR, Sun Rooms, Dens etc. anyplace you would like to place a lamp and not have to turn on overhead lights, when entering a room.

PS: To stay within Code, be sure to have a neutral in every switch box, even if it's not being used. It allows devices like occupancy sensors to be used.

If you plan it properly, even three and four way switches can be wired with three wire romex and still do this. Just feed the power in one end of the 3w circuit and take the feed to the light(s) from the 3w switch on the other end.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Semi-Retired: what are the outlets that have clamp-type wire connectors ?

I'm replacing my 1964 common ones which don't hold plugs well, and it would save a lot of time avoiding bending wire around screws.

I've seen quick clamp-ons for GFCI's and Leviton spec grade Decora recepticles ?

Thanks.

t_manero, the cheaper receptacles only have screws on the sides that the wires need to be wrapped around the ones semi was referring to are the ones that have a fixed square plates or washer and a loose square plate or washer under the screw that clamps the wire in between them when the screw is tightened.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-01-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    t_manero, the cheaper receptacles only have screws on the sides that the wires need to be wrapped around the ones semi was referring to are the ones that have a fixed square plates or washer and a loose square plate or washer under the screw that clamps the wire in between them when the screw is tightened.

Jack
    Exactly . . . I wanted to know what to call them when shopping . . . I've seen & used GFCI & Decora ones with back connectors, but instead of spring pressure (which good tradespeople dislike), the wire is clamped down by a small jaw when screw is tightened. (I overtightened one and the jaw severed the wire). I don't see the duplex receptacles with this quick & secure feature at big box stores.

Doing a bunch of receptables w/o wrapping the wire around screws is a time saver, but don't know what to ask.

Tony . . . Go 49ers.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    Exactly . . . I wanted to know what to call them when shopping . . . I've seen & used GFCI & Decora ones with back connectors, but instead of spring pressure (which good tradespeople dislike), the wire is clamped down by a small jaw when screw is tightened. (I overtightened one and the jaw severed the wire). I don't see the duplex receptacles with this quick & secure feature at big box stores.

Doing a bunch of receptables w/o wrapping the wire around screws is a time saver, but don't know what to ask.

Tony . . . Go 49ers.
    Tony, you will probably have to go to an electrical supply house to find them. The big box stores don't seem to carry them.

Just ask for the back & side wired, TR duplex receptacles.
    Hubbell has several grades of the 2 pole, 3 wire grounding types: Style Line, Heavy Duty, Specification Grade, Construction & Commercial Series.

Some can get pretty pricey.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content