+ Reply to Thread

Default Stud in way of range hood vent

When replacing my range hood, I found there was a stud in the location where the back vent goes into the wall. So, the builder just left off the vent flap and screwed the range hood to the wall, resulting in a reduced opening. I would like to know the correct way to remedy this problem. The wall is not load bearing.

Default Re: Stud in way of range hood vent

If the wall isn't load bearing, then cut out the offending stud where its in the way. Be sure to keep in line with the fire code.

I would do more than what HR recommends:

After cutting the stud, run a 4x4 from one adjacent stud to the next one over, supported by 2 junior king studs on either side and nailed properly.

Not sure? get a framer to do it right. Watch him do it so next time you can do it yourself.

I had the same problem. I bought an ordinary range hood from Home Depot, drew up exactly how I wanted the hood altered, took it to a local sheet metal shop and they did a great job altering the exhaust part of the hood so it missed the stud.

Smile Re: Stud in way of range hood vent

Thanks to all of you that replied. We are still debating about whether or not to replace cabinets in the very near future, so each reply has its merits. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that CaptTCB's solution had not occurred to me. Goes to show how often we limit our own thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ryoung10 View Post
    Thanks to all of you that replied. We are still debating about whether or not to replace cabinets in the very near future, so each reply has its merits. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that CaptTCB's solution had not occurred to me. Goes to show how often we limit our own thinking.
    I had a similar problem with a hood install, though it wasn't a stud that was the problem, it was a lack of room in general. Like TCB, I took my drawing and dimensions to a sheetmetal shop and they fabricated the connector pieces that I needed for about $30. A whole lot easier than reworking cabinets and framing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I had the same issue. I chose to recess a fan into a side wall near the stove. I didnt want the fan noticeable so I attached a picture frame to 4 dowels that held the picture over the fan about an inch. The fan sucked in the air all around the picture frame and nobody can tell I have a fan under it. It also looks contemporary. They have the same type of fans installed in bathroom ceiling lights now. Thats where I got the idea.

Cut, reframe with header.