+ Reply to Thread

Default Windows nailed and painted shut, every latch stuck

One more joy of the 110yo house is the original windows. Every window but the carptastic aluminum one in the kitchen is painted shut, has a non-moving latch and has a thick nail through the sash. In this case the nails are 1/4" thick, almost like a bolt but not a hex head.
    I want to free up a window or two for the nice days of the year, but I cannot get the nails to budge and do not want to damage the sashes.
    All of the nails stick out at least 1 1/2" from the sash, so prying with a hammer is really out of the question. I have tried to grab with pliers, but have not been able to wiggle, twist or pull any of the nails.
    All of the latches are also painted shit, but I figure they can be gently coaxed.
    I know the next step will be taking the putty knife to the edges both inside and out, but my concern now is getting the nails out to start the process.

Default Re: Windows nailed and painted shut, every latch stuck

If the nail has a head, you need a block of wood and a curved-claw hammer or a small crowbar. If it's a finish nail, then some vice-grips and a block of wood. The block is necessary so you can maximize the leverage.
    The windows can be infinitely improved by disassembling, stripping the paint everywhere, removing the glass, painting with oil, reglazing, and retrofitting with weatherstripping, which can be high-dollar interlocking metal or dime-store self-adhesive v-plastic stuff.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Restoring old windows back to original is very labor intensive. Some folks (the smart ones like me) prefer to install new windows that look just like the old ones but have all the modern features of low e-glass and weather proof finishes.

I agree with HR, I'm always voting for new windows, and no, I don't get any kickbacks from window makers.

I'm trying to put off making the decision on restoration v replacement for another two years(or at least until after I get the house leveled and a few beams replaced) and just want a few windows that open.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

Thanks,