+ Reply to Thread

Default Finish on bamboo flooring wearing

I had a Natural carbonized bamboo flooring installed in 2004, in about 2008 the finish started wearing off in different places in the house. There is a 25 year warranty on wear. Build Direct had sent their own inspector which said I mopped and the flooring had excessive moisture. How can the bedroom have excessive moisture when I spot wipe the floor and have damp mopped the floor 4 times since 2004? I then had 3 different flooring companies come and give estimates to refinish the floor. I did not know these companies and they all said the same thing. The flooring needs to be replaced as the wear is in odd places and they had moisture reading meters and said there was not excessive water at all. They said if the finish was taken off to refinish it would never be able to be refinished and there was no guarantee the floor would do well. Build direct wants to give me $1000. and have me sign a waiver. I realize I had the flooring installed when Bamboo was becoming a fad. Big mistake as I have seen and have been reading the blogs ******. I would never put bamboo flooring in. I can't afford an attorney. Any advise?

Default Re: Finish on bamboo flooring wearing

This is a typical response from pre-manufactured suppliers. Its never their fault. They can go into court as the "experts" and claim you soaked the floor which of course you cannot prove you didn't. Its shameful they don't stand by their products.

What is the limit for small claims in your jurisdiction?

yup, houston hit the nail on the head.. quite a few of the prefinished products availble 10 years ago are having issues.. id never install bamboo in my house.. same goes for laminate, i have yet to see a laminate floor thats 5 years old and doesnt have damaged sections... its junk i.m.o

you want the look and feel of real wood.. its called real wood. 100 yr old homes stil have the original hardwood in them and they can still be refinished
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Small claims is $7500. for each person, and I don't know if you can each file and receive payment. Will have to check into this. We are in CA and they are in Vancouver. Thanks for responding

If your supplier is in a different country, your chances to collect are slim or none.

See if you can up their offer from $1000 to whatever, take the money and run.

We are going to have to pay for another inspector to come in, as the one they had sent I knew was in their favor before she entered the door. No eye contact, no conversation and kind of rude.

So I will have another inspection, if they say the same thing, which I know they won't we will see. I will not get bamboo again. Thanks for the info. If anyone has had this issue and got there floor replaced please let me know.

Thanks to everyone

i dont understand why flooring guys said they wouldnt be able to finish it. I was a custom cabinet maker for 15 years and finished lots of bamboo stuff. the only problem is it sands and cuts really hard and really doesnt take stain at all but it finishes very nicly mainly because i=the grain doesnt raise. the problem is with the finish not the material bamboo is actually a very good floor. it moves less than wood and is much harder than most woods. but it doesnt surprise me they wont honor the waranty i have rerly heard of a manufacturer actually honoring their waranty
    Last edited by junkout; 01-27-2013 at 12:27 PM.