+ Reply to Thread

Default century old glass

am the owner of a large 100 year old greenhouse that is
    going to be demolished. sill intact in the greenhouse
    are hundreds of glass panes that measure 15" x 24". are these
    of any use to anyone in construction or artistic design?

Default Re: century old glass

Depending on their condition and thickness, they may be useful to an art supply shop or a picture framing business. Contact local shops and find out. let us know.

Look up thr Architects in your area that do Historical restorations they have a need for wavy replacement glass.
    Also check with Architectural Boards in your area they should have a list of approved replacement glass manufactures that will buy it.
    Also check for suppliers of Antique Window Panes.
    May even check on companys that restore old frames.

Is the glass wavy and/or bubbly and 1/8" thick? I've been restoring the windows in my house and have been snatching up old windows from craigslist and even pulled some out of a dumpster to get the glass, so YES!!!!!!

However, I think your dimensions might be too small for me to use, but other people could.

Put an ad out on Craigslist statewide, or at least offer them on local Freecycle groups. It's a downright shame to throw irreplaceable and usable history down the drain unless you have no other real options. If someone does want them and will remove them, be sure that you have a legal no-risk waiver signed by them in hand to protect yourself.

Phil

Depends. If the glass is wavy or has other noticeable imperfections, it has value to restorers. If you're willing to donate and there's a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area, check with them if they'll take it.

If the glass is perfectly smooth with few or no manufacturing defects, the value is minimal. The work to (paying someone to) clean the glass will probably cost more than purchasing new glass.

Oh, and the idea that old glass is thicker on the bottom because glass is a supercooled liquid that flows is a myth. If you measure old panes, you may very well find that they are thicker on the bottom, but that's because old glaziers put the thicker edge on the bottom to give the pane better support.

Besides, this is an old thread, the original poster may never see the recent replies, and the greenhouse has probably been demolished by now.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 01-11-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I have 2 meter long glass panel 2 inch in width. Can it cut in two panels of 1 inch width each?