I have a couple questions about my sump pump, including at least one issue I need help solving:

When my house was built, my basement sump drainage line was hooked into the adjacent neighborhood's storm drain. This was done without permission by my builder, and I was later forced to disconnect my line from that drain. Now I have the water draining straight out the side of my house, creating a swampy area in the yard with a lot of bugs in the summertime. I am looking for a creative way to drain the water, possibly with some way to feed a vegetable garden during the warmer months. Outside of that, it seems like my most basic option is to run a long line to the drainage ditch at the front of my property.

Also, while working on the sump line with the pump unplugged, I noticed the water rises very little past a certain point and generally does not trigger the backup pump. When the main pump is connected, though, it runs very frequently. Is that an indication that the main pump is seated too low in the pit and shouldn't be running so much, or is the frequent pumping necessary to prevent too much water saturation in the perimeter tiling? I'd sure like to have it run less often if possible.

Any advice on either item would be much appreciated.
Thanks!