+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation HELP! Funky ceiling, mold, no clue what i'm doing, pictures!

I feel like I'm in over my head and I need some direction as to where to begin, er, continue..

BACKGROUND: Bought (circa 1800's)home 5 years ago, no bathroom fan/vent, never appeared to have any mold. Ceiling always looked "funky" by this I mean, splotchy, not really peeling, but scabby looking if that makes sense?

PROBLEM: Mold.I posted a few photos.. the photos are after I scrapped the "scabs"... The areas that look yellowish (also have mold) is what was under the "scabbed" paint and the white is the current state of the ceiling. You can see that it looks almost bumpy. I don't see any water damage. I'm thinking that the previous owner just painted over the moldy ceiling and over time the mold is coming through the paint? I don't know. SO NOW I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO PROCEED.

SOUGHT ADVICE: I called an uncle who remodels homes and he said to scr.ape, bleach, apply joint compound and skim coat, apply Binz/bins(?) then I can repaint with a bathroom paint..

WHAT I'VE DONE: I applied straight vinegar to the surface prior to scraping thinking it would help kill the mold that was on the surface, but as I scr.aped it was underneath too. I just wiped it down with 50/50 bleach/water. I'm super nervous that I just release mold spores into the air and I'm strongly considering calling a mold speci.alist. Is my family ok (health wise)? Would mold that was treated still be black? Can it survive under paint? EEEK!

I appreciate any and ALL advice!

Last edited by MyTulips; 01-20-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: adding pictures

Default Re: HELP! Funky ceiling, mold, no clue what i'm doing, pictures!

I know you won't be happy to hear this: remove the drywall and install new. This is the only way you will be satisfied with the results.

While the old drywall is down, you'll have a chance to examine/repair/replace/clean/disinfect your rafters, insulation and whatever else you got up there.

If this job is too much for you, hire a pro. You'll be glad you did.

It seems just surface and superficial?? I don't think it's up in the eves?? not sure.. seems extreme to rip it down. Do you think that is my only option? a antimicrobial joint compound skim coat won't do the job if the mold is killed???

Looks like your walls are plaster if so the mold will be all the way through to the back side.
    Plaster will hold a large amount of water / moisture.

You need to make sure the cause of this is fixed before you do any major repairs or you're throwing good money after bad. Get a bathroom fan if you don't have one (and use it if you do) or open the window to vent after showering. I'm assuming you have too much moisture building up and not escaping which then sits and allows the dreaded "M" to grow.

If you are able to dry out the plaster you may be able to paint/skim it, but the other posters are right, it may never be to your satisfaction. I'm wondering if vinegar is like bleach and, from what I've heard, feeds mold.

To kill the mold you can use D/2 Architectural Antimicrobial.
    another one is B Plus from Cathedral Stone.
    These will also kill Alge.
    Both of the above will run about $ 50.00 per Gal.

Control the water and the mold will die on its own. Granted the mold will still be there, just dead or dormant but not growing. There are a number of concoctions and elixirs to kill mold listed on line.

Fix the water source first.