+ Reply to Thread

Default Portable Router Table

This spring I'd like to either make or purchase a decent table top router table for my shop. I've looked on line at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and have read the reviews for some of the more popular ones, but I still am leery about buying a piece of junk.

Does anyone using a router table that they really like? I"m a home owner, do-it-yourselfer with intermediate woodworking skills.

Default Re: Portable Router Table

Build your own, you can do it cheaper and better than most of the portable tables out there.

If you go this route, don't skimp on the space for the router, you will be taking it in and out frequently, as well as having to adjust depth and change bits.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Take a look at the link below, maybe you can get some ideas.

http://www.routerforums.com/
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

home made router tables are pretty easy. depending on what tasks you want to do with it will dictate extra features. mine has an adjustable fence via t -slot . i know high end trim guys that just have a sheet of plywood with a 1`hole drilled in the middle of it where the bit comes up through. then they screw down a peice of wood to that if they need a fence
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    home made router tables are pretty easy. depending on what tasks you want to do with it will dictate extra features. mine has an adjustable fence via t -slot . i know high end trim guys that just have a sheet of plywood with a 1`hole drilled in the middle of it where the bit comes up through. then they screw down a peice of wood to that if they need a fence
    I've seen guys cut a hole in their tablesaw side table to mount their router. The plus side is that you can use the saw fence with the router, the down side is, you've got a hole in your tablesaw side table.

I grew up in the home shop of a professional furniture maker. He had a home made router table, which was a box roughly 16" square with the router mounted into one side of it. There were cleats across the top and bottom of the box for rigidity. For a fence he simple clamped a piece of wood to the table. For security, he clamped the box to the bench or sawhorse. I worked for him for 10 years and we built some amazing things in that shop, all with this very simple and very cheap to make router stand.

Conversely, when I bought my own shop, I went to the New Yankee Workshop and followed the plans for the router stand that Norm had. What a mistake! The cabinet was way too small to house the router comfortably and easily, and the storage was equally small and useless. I ended up not finishing the cabinet and only used the router mount until I bought a shaper, now I do 90% of my router work with the shaper. The router cabinet has been turned into a multi-station that has my bench grinder, sanding station, and Tormek knife and blade sharpener on it.

So, what I would recommend is to determine exactly what you want and need out of your router stand, then do some mock ups to see if the dimensions are suitable. Then, build whatever you need.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I've seen guys cut a hole in their tablesaw side table to mount their router. The plus side is that you can use the saw fence with the router, the down side is, you've got a hole in your tablesaw side table.

I grew up in the home shop of a professional furniture maker. He had a home made router table, which was a box roughly 16" square with the router mounted into one side of it. There were cleats across the top and bottom of the box for rigidity. For a fence he simple clamped a piece of wood to the table. For security, he clamped the box to the bench or sawhorse. I worked for him for 10 years and we built some amazing things in that shop, all with this very simple and very cheap to make router stand.

Conversely, when I bought my own shop, I went to the New Yankee Workshop and followed the plans for the router stand that Norm had. What a mistake! The cabinet was way too small to house the router comfortably and easily, and the storage was equally small and useless. I ended up not finishing the cabinet and only used the router mount until I bought a shaper, now I do 90% of my router work with the shaper. The router cabinet has been turned into a multi-station that has my bench grinder, sanding station, and Tormek knife and blade sharpener on it.

So, what I would recommend is to determine exactly what you want and need out of your router stand, then do some mock ups to see if the dimensions are suitable. Then, build whatever you need.
    I'm glad you mentioned the one Norm built. I was going to order the plans and video but had concerns. I think you just saved me a lot of grief. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Take a look at the link below, maybe you can get some ideas.
    Thank you for this link. I would have never guessed there was a forum for router. I've gone to the link and think this will be very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by bobrien1775 View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned the one Norm built. I was going to order the plans and video but had concerns. I think you just saved me a lot of grief. Thank you!
    You're welcome. Like I said, before you build anything, make sure you do a mock up to see if your router will work to your satisfaction. One of the things about Norms cabinet, it was just barely big enough for my smaller Porter Cable router, there was no way it was going to fit my Dewalt plunge router, which made it all the more useless for my needs. Now, don't get me wrong, maybe it works great for Norm, the construction methods of the cabinet were sound, the design was decent enough too, the whole thing was just too small and poorly laid out for my needs.

I used a Craftsman table top for many years and it was fine for basic homeowner stuff, but not for things like making stile and rail cabinet doors, etc.

I almost upgraded to the Bosch tabletop, it looks very nice. Like most of the posters on this thread, I ended up making my own Big Boy router table and am so glad I did.

Best of luck - let us know what you end up with.