+ Reply to Thread

Default new windows installed without insulation

I had new wondows installed in my home. I have found out that the contractor did not insulate them. When I asked why he said that the window was such a tight fit that there was no room for insulation. Is this true?

Default Re: new windows installed without insulation

the only thing that's true is that if it is a very tight fit that it makes it more difficult to get insulation in. usually insualtion can be added as the window is being put in place which eliminates his poor excuse. as an after the windows are installed project, they can still be insulated with low expansion foam insulation. the way i've done this is to remove the stops, drill a hole big enough to accomodate the foam straw in several areas along the length of the window, fill with foam, then put the stops back which will cover up the holes you drilled. i'd make him come back and do the job properly, you paid for it so hold him accountable.

Itís time you get a new repair person to look at your window installation and install insulation. If he knows his work, he should be able to fix your problem and not just give you excuses.
    Last edited by marf1273; 08-17-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Smile Re: new windows installed without insulation

We did have this problem once when installing a new construction window in a pre-framed opening (replacing an old window with a new construction window). However, there is always either:

1. Space enough to fit the nozzle / tube from a can of minimally expanding foam or

2. A small enough opening that you could caulk it to at least limit air infiltration.

I agree with the other posters-time to find a more qualified person.

John.

I sort of ran in to this a bit on my recent window installation. The windows were quite a bit smaller then my existing one, in this case 2" in width and 4" in height. I had to frame the openings to fit the windows and install trim and brick mold to finish the exterior. There was plenty of room around the windows, but some of the new framing left very little room, not even enough to fit the noozle of a spray foam can. In the case of those I used excess spray foam (since there was always some areas where it expanded out of the opening at least a little), cutting it with a utility knife and then jamming it in to the little gap with a thin flat head screw driver. I jammed in as much as I could and I caulked over top.

Even if it was a tight fit you can always do something. He probably was thinking/saying it was to tight for getting fiber glass in there, which might have been the case (you can always jam some in there). Considering how cheap minimal expansion spray foam is, at about $5 a can...its a tiny extra cost to go the extra mile and it insulates better then fiberglass anyway. Sounds like an unknowldgeable or lazy installer.

Were these replacement windows? Or were they inserts, as mentioned inserts can be made to fit really tight, replacement windows odds are good there was at least a small gap. For replacements remove the interior trim and you should have access/see the gap between window frame and rough-in. Just use spray foam in that and where else you can see/is accessible. If removing the trim doesn't reveal the rough-in area because the builder used a bit extra in the way of drywall, you can take a utility knife and cut away a small amount of drywall that would be under the trim and hidden on each window to figure out where the rough-in gap is. Then take a drill and drill every 2-3 inches around just enough to fit a spray foam noozel in. Go to town (but don't over apply as it will ooze out of the holes).