+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling Paint Mistake

When my wife asked me to pull all the pop corn ceiling and re-paint the area she insisted that I paint it with a white satin latex paint. I'm not happy with any of the way it looks since you can see most of the roller marks and areas where I didn't do a very good job filling nail holes and covering tape marks.

When I start my next renovation projects I want to re-do the flaws in the ceiling. My question is, can someone recommend what type paint or prep work should I do to get a better finish? I haven't painted flat over simi-gloss before and just don't want to make a mess out of the projects.

Default Re: Ceiling Paint Mistake

Your mistake was poor prep job, not the choice of paints.

After removing pop corn ceiling, you need to work your mud, do all necessary corrections, prime and then paint.

Ceiling paint is usually flat paint as it hides the flaws the best, but not perfectly. Use a light held at a sharp angle to the ceiling to help detect lumps and bumps. Multiple light coats of drywall mud are easier than thick coats and sanding it down.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Ceiling paint is usually flat paint as it hides the flaws the best, but not perfectly. Use a light held at a sharp angle to the ceiling to help detect lumps and bumps. Multiple light coats of drywall mud are easier than thick coats and sanding it down.
    I agree on the prep work. Although I did apply several coats of mud and sanded in between, I think it would have helped to have the light fixed at the ceiling. I didn't see many of the flaws until the next morning and with the semi-gloss really made my mistakes more prominent.

When I re-work the ceiling, do I need to rough up the areas where I will be applying drywall compound? I'm concerned that the compound won't stick to the paint.

Also, do you have a particular brand of paint that you prefer? I've used everything from Valspar, Bear, Glidden, Kelly Moore and Costco (when they were selling their own paint)?

Primer what you have then re-mud. The new mud will stick to the primer.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Primer what you have then re-mud. The new mud will stick to the primer.
    You just answered my next question. Thank you very much. I know it will come out much better this time. I was not sure about putting mud over simi-gloss paint.