+ Reply to Thread

Default dining table cracked oak

I made a farmhouse table; solid oak. It pulled apart about a 1/8" along a couple vein lines. I suppose it was not dried or cured enough. What type of filler can I use to fill the cracks (that won't crack or dry ugly) and then a sealant/finish for the whole table that can take the daily abuse of a busy family.
    Thanks, Julie

Default Re: dining table cracked oak

I really like Dap Plastic Wood. It's easy to use and will accept stain and finishes well. I would recommend running some saw kerfs in a scrap piece of oak to test the product and stains to see how to achieve the best finish results.

http://www.dap.com/images/products/21141_2001.jpg
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Any advise on the proper sealant? Water repellent.... I suppose the directions on the can will tell me that. Thank you Mr/Ms Spruce.

You said you made the table, what did you use when you made it?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I made it out of two 20"x 60" x 3/4 oak planks bought from Menard's. These were the finished boards in the prepared wood section. But the crack in the wood follows a vein; separation did not happen in the seam.
    Last edited by Julie Rose; 01-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.

The planks probably had a conversion lacquer applied at the factory. You should be able to use a polyurethane without any issues, but make sure you do a test on the bottom side of the table so that if there is any reaction between the old and new finishes, it won't be visible.

I would recommend McKlosskies polyurethanes, they are very good and extremely easy to use. If you need to stain before sealing, then you'll have to match that as best you can, MinWax makes good stains, but very crappy top coats.

If you want to avoid staining completely, then use Color Putty, it comes in a variety of colors that can be mixed together to create the perfect match. This putty stays relatively soft, which may be a drawback for a tabletop, but it is an alternative if the cracks are not overly large.

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/8148181.jpg