+ Reply to Thread

Default TOH and Plaster wiring noob

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and our first old house.

We have plaster in all of the rooms. I am looking to install my tv above the fireplace. I have done my homework on finding the studs and hanging the brackets, but what is the best way to run the wiring through the walls?

On drywall, I just cut a small patch out so I can fish and run the wiring, but plaster seems much more complicated. Does anyone have experience with this, or suggestions?

Default Re: TOH and Plaster wiring noob

Personally I used a cheap plunge cutter when dealing with drywall over 1" shiplap. As long as you are careful you will likely have similar result with plaster. I used double gang combo low voltage and regular voltage boxes. Be sure to account for the thickness of your wall when using the screw-down clips.

We do the same with a saw set to the depth of the plaster and lathe as not to cut any wires or pipes in the wall. Cut a hole large enough for a duplex box and start fishing wires. Fishing is the hard part. Keep a few dollars for the cuss jar handy.

Quote Originally Posted by crock921 View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and our first old house.

We have plaster in all of the rooms. I am looking to install my tv above the fireplace. I have done my homework on finding the studs and hanging the brackets, but what is the best way to run the wiring through the walls?

On drywall, I just cut a small patch out so I can fish and run the wiring, but plaster seems much more complicated. Does anyone have experience with this, or suggestions?
    As a former TV repairman I would not even consider mounting a TV above a heat source.

As an electrical contractor I'll only do it if the homeowner signs a waiver.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I agree with semi about mounting over a fire place.

However when cutting plaster it is best to score the opening with a utility knife before you start cutting, Remove the plaster from the opening first so you can see the lath. Cut the lath on one side but don't cut it all the way, leave a small section uncut, the cut the other side all the way trough then finish the first side. If you cut all the way trough the first side the cutting the other side can cause vibration of the lath and additional damage to the plaster..

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Best tool for cutting a neat hole of any shape in plaster is a is a Carbide Burs The Cylindrical shape cuts nice clean openings corners will be a little rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    As a former TV repairman I would not even consider mounting a TV above a heat source.

As an electrical contractor I'll only do it if the homeowner signs a waiver.

I am considering it as a last resort. Two of the walls are all windows, the fireplace wall has a large window and a door, and the 4th wall is the entry into the room, so it only has a few feet of complete wall.

I know the soot and heat are an issue, but the fireplace has a lot of brick above the hearth, and a large mantle as well.

My biggest concern with the plaster is all of the cracking that can occur, then trying to patch the holes needed to run the hdmi and power cables horizontally along the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by crock921 View Post
    I am considering it as a last resort. Two of the walls are all windows, the fireplace wall has a large window and a door, and the 4th wall is the entry into the room, so it only has a few feet of complete wall.

I know the soot and heat are an issue, but the fireplace has a lot of brick above the hearth, and a large mantle as well.

My biggest concern with the plaster is all of the cracking that can occur, then trying to patch the holes needed to run the hdmi and power cables horizontally along the wall.
    " Horizonally along the wall "
    Plaster over a brick chimney will be furring strips NOT STUDS cutting a furring strip would seriously weaken a vertical furring strip plus the furring strip can not be used to hold a TV.

in the case of there being no studs, would it then be best to mount it to the masonry on the chimney? Or should I frame it out and drywall the area?