+ Reply to Thread

Default Baseboard in tight corners

My wife and I recently bought a house that we're in the process of remodeling. I'm putting down the new baseboards, and there is not enough room between the door casing and the wall in the corner to accommodate the thickness of the baseboard coming in from the perpendicular wall.

Do I notch out the casing or the baseboard? Is there some other trick that will look better?

Default Re: Baseboard in tight corners

in that instance i typically cut a little filler strip so there isnt a small void without any wood which looks terrible then butt the base into teh casing.. other times i will notch the base so it tucks in there.. it usually depends on how long the piece that has to tuck in there is and how visable it will be.. if its in a closet i dont worry about it. if its in a high traffic hallway make it tight as possible
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Joe,

You and Mrs Joe are pretty much the only folks who will ever notice this space. Don't spend a whole lot of time on this. COme up with a solution you like and move onto the next dilemma, of which there will be many. There is no 'right way' to do this, except for what Mrs Joe wants.

As has already been said, do what looks best. I have notched both baseboards and door trim to make things fit over the years, and both look fine in the environment that it was done. Basically, what I'm saying is that it's a judgment call, try both and do what looks best to you. Most likely it will be easiest and best to notch the base than the door trim.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!