+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Move an outlet up on a stud

We are putting in a new breakfast bar and I have an outlet that is going to be covered up when installed.
    I was wondering it the wiring comes down from the attic and the only other outlet that the wires run to is on the other side of the wall, can I just remove the old outlet, cut the wire at the height I need to then run new wire from the new outlet to the old one? That way I would only need a few feet of new wiring.

Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks for the input

Default Re: Move an outlet up on a stud

Sounds good and simple to do with romax.
    Remember: don't leave a hidden junction box inside the wall.

Any electrical connection/splice must remain accessible, so if you can relocate the outlet without covering anything up, you are in good shape.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That makes it much easy for me to do then, thanks. Now if I was to removed the old junction box and patch up the drywall that would be ok correct?

Quote Originally Posted by wagonersa View Post
    That makes it much easy for me to do then, thanks. Now if I was to removed the old junction box and patch up the drywall that would be ok correct?
    As long as there are no wires or electrical connections in it, yes, you can remove the box and repair the wall.

If there are wires and connections, then the easiest thing to do would be to turn the box into the other side of the wall, this allows you to patch the wall, yet still have access to the connections, as required by code.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!