+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating the floor

I have a 110 year old cottage near the beach in Florida. It is 4 feet off the ground which is sand. The floors are heart pine and there is nothing between the floors and the ground. In spots when a pine knot has fallen out you can see the sand below. How can I insulate and should I?

Default Re: Insulating the floor

You should have two layers of wood on the floor. One layer, the subfloor, whose boards go diagonally across the joists and a second layer, the floor, whose boards go perpendicular to the joists.

What is your coldest temperature there and do your floors get uncomfortably cold?

It is Northern Florida so in Winter it can get below freezing for short periods and usually lows in 40's. There does not appear to be any sub flooring.

And yes the floors get uncomfortably cold. You can feel the drafts on your feet.

Kathy,

My house is built the exact same way. If I drop a dollar bill in the living room, I have to crawl under the house to go fetch it.

I used unfaced batt insulation held in place with spring wire insulation supports, then covered the entire bottom of the house with Tyvek. SInce that time you can now hire guys to come spray foam the underneath. If I had my choice today, I'd go with spray foam. They don't have to fill the cavities, just a good layer which blocks the air flow.