I have an unfinished attic in a cape cod home. If finished it could be two additional rooms. However, we do not have the money to do this project (it has been like this for 22 years). Anyways, my wife & I would like to keep this as a bare boards attic. There is old insulation in the floors joists and I put down pine flooring, so it is fully floored. There is no other insulation up there. We took down anything that was there when we moved in the house because it was exposed and falling apart. Limited electric was placed and there is no heat. At this point, we basically would like to make this a "toys in the attic" place to go and some seasonal storage. We would like to know if it is safe to paint the inside roof rafters and walls to brighten up the interior area. If so is there a specific type of paint to use or not use.
We were concerned that painting the bare interior walls/sheathing/rafters could possibly cause a problem with seasonal temp. changes/breathing of the wood.
We will then put wall to wall carpet down or paint the pine I have already put down. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.