+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing Elevator

Hi there. We have a 30's colonial, with a beautiful elevator that was installed in the 80s. We NEVER use it, except as a party trick once or twice a year, and have a curious 3 year old boy, and a smart 7 year old. Any ideas on removing it/salvaging it/selling it? Additionally, we would like to convert the elevator shaft, from basement with the motor up to 3rd stop into a spiral staircase. Too crazy?

All ideas, suggestions, plans, experiences welcome!

Thanks in advance.

JPY

Default Re: Removing Elevator

No, not too crazy. Actually, depending on the elevator's condition and size, it could be of a great value for somebody else.

Start by advertising in places like craigslist. Of course the buyer will have to factor removal and delivery into the price. Also, contact elevator contractors and service companies to see if there is any kind of demand for a used elevator in your area.

It may be challenging, but worth a try. Let us know what happens.

Someday, you might need this elevator. I'd keep it. In fact I wish I had one now.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Someday, you might need this elevator. I'd keep it. In fact I wish I had one now.
    Agreed. What I would do till the kids grew up is to lower it to the bottom with the doors open then kill the power to it and use it for storage. Before putting it back into service in a decade or two have it inspected for safety. If you really need the access, the spiral staircase idea is great- I've seen that done once and it looked as if it had been designed that way! The homeowner used bead-board on the walls and stained it to complement the wrought-iron stair by furring out over the tracks and wiring chase.

As to marketing it, you may have a problem there. Most companies will only do new unit or part installs so they are clear of any liability from failed parts, so only a brave and good DIY'er is going to want it. Then there is the problem of licensing and permits- in most areas only a licensed elevator technician can touch it and also most areas require a Government inspection on a regular schedule; at the very least on installation. Also the old hydraulic in-ground cylinder types are no longer legal (EPA and groundwater seepage issues) but they can be used where they are till they leak or die of old age. It's not that you can't do it right, it's that they won't let you try because of the potential for great harm.

Phil

If you want the kids to stop using it turn the breaker off or pull the fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I agree for example when you go to sale a lot of handicapped people would be very interested and it could pay off big time.

I have to agree with a lot of other folks about leaving it in place. You never know when it will be needed if you plan to stay there a while and a selling point for the infirm or disabled in the future. My sister and husband are building a 3 story house with the first floor elevated because of flood/storm surge requirements and they have roughed in the shaft for a future elevator. The house is on the water in the Florida keys and they plan on staying there for the future into retirement.