+ Reply to Thread

Question Upgrade old bath to shower

I'm updating our old bath to include a shower. I don't want to risk damaging the tile so I would like to find something that will replace our current faucet but without drilling(apart from drilling for the shower head which won't be on tile). Does anyone have an idea or suggestion?

Photos can be seen here (just copy and paste into your browser): plus.google.com/photos/100877474955327466991/albums/5834174859383044769?authkey=CJiv3bHUxfOBTg

Thanks,
    Zach

Default Re: Upgrade old bath to shower

they make a replacement plate that allows you to install a new regular mixing valve and the plate covers the holes you're going to have from the hot and cold shutoffs being removed. all plumbing supply houses carry them.

Home Burrito carries them too in the plumbing parts section.

How were you fixin to waterproof the shower?

Ideally, you can change faucet bodies by gaining access through the wall on the other side of the bathroom wall.

Would either of your be willing to post a link to what you're talking about? So that I can see a picture of it.

Houston, Well tile goes up ~4' so from the top of the tile to the ceiling I'm planning to install FRP board.

dj1, if you look at the pictures I posted (see the link), I've already got access to the other side of the wall.

I'm hoping I can stick with the [knob]--[faucet]--[knob] all in one line. Does that make sense?

From your photo you're ready to go. I hope you will include replacing the pipes in your remodel.

1. Remove old faucet body by cutting off the supply pipes (hacksaw or recip saw).

2. Get a faucet of your choice, as long as it's a Delta or Moen - they still make 3 hole knob faucets.

3. Set the new body in place, secure and attach pipes. Install a riser for the shower head.

Go to youtube to watch vids. Not sure? get a plumber.

The problem your going to have is if you use the remodel plate with a single lever faucet you won't have enough room for the tub spout to fit between the plate and the tub.

John

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    From your photo you're ready to go. I hope you will include replacing the pipes in your remodel.

1. Remove old faucet body by cutting off the supply pipes (hacksaw or recip saw).

2. Get a faucet of your choice, as long as it's a Delta or Moen - they still make 3 hole knob faucets.

3. Set the new body in place, secure and attach pipes. Install a riser for the shower head.

Go to youtube to watch vids. Not sure? get a plumber.
    All the three tips are excellent. Contact some professionals if you are not sure about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Ideally, you can change faucet bodies by gaining access through the wall on the other side of the bathroom wall.
    That's what we did. Put a panel up in the closet to keep access to the plumming.