+ Reply to Thread

Default steel entry door - shave down?

Charlottesville Virginia

My condo steel entry door, 35.75 w * 79.25 h, is half an inch too long to accommodate a new ceramic tile floor in my 25 sq ft foyer. I've been told the door is hollow.

1) Can I shave off 3/4 of an inch from the bottom of the existing door to get the clearance needed? The metal threshold has screws in it so it's not part of the frame. Can the threshold be shimmed under the plate if height build up is needed ?

2) How much should a custom replacement door 3/4 inch shorter, cost if that isn't possible?

Default Re: steel entry door - shave down?

1- Yes, cut the door and fill the void with foamed-in-place wood. Treat the metal as you would a car with proper primer and paint.

2- Can't tell you that from here. You'll need to get local pricing.

You mentioned that you have a metal threshold. If it's the kind that's high in the center, perhaps you can replace it with a flatter one?

Bigger question, why is your tile floor going to be 3/4" higher? That seems like a lot to me.

Sounds like you may be going over an existing floor. If thats the case remove it.

DJ mentioned removing the threashold and replacing with a lower profile.

One thing that pops in my head is you live in a condo. Depending on your condo situation Im not so sure I would be messing around with the door if it needs to have a fire rating. Does this door have wood jambs or metal frame?????
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I'm voting against cutting the metal bottom, plus, as gizmo pointed out, the exterior door may be the property of the association. That's why a replacement door most likely must also be approved by the association.

I know, it's a pain, and that's one of the reasons many folks don't want to own condos and townhouses.

Problem #1, cutting the door doesn't solve the issue, it will actually bring up another, more important one, how do you propose to weatherproof a door that is 3/4" higher than it's threshold? How do you raise the threshold without creating a trip hazard?

Problem #2, Being a condo, the association "owns" the door, which means you cannot change or modify it without their express permission. Taking on the association is not something for the faint of heart.

The much cheaper and easier solution would be to NOT cut the door and opt to make the tile fit the area better OR choose a different type of flooring that will work.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Problem #1- I assume this is the condo door to the hallway, which there is no need to weatherproof.

Problem #2 still exists.

I’d go for a replacement door instead of cutting and resizing the existing one. I got a new entry door from championwindows.com. Why don’t you call them and ask if they have a custom replacement door?
    Last edited by SEOvB-SM; 03-20-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Removed link

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Problem #1- I assume this is the condo door to the hallway, which there is no need to weatherproof.

Problem #2 still exists.
    It's probably a 2hr fire-rated, and modifying is verboten.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.