Hi there,

We have been dealing with moisture in the ceiling around our chimney, below the attic. We thought the roof was leaking but it only seems to happen when it's colder outside than inside and doesn't make a diff. if it's raining or not. I'm guessing it's condensation, but what do I do about it? I did check up there and there seems to be blown-in insulation (reminds me of old furniture stuffing) several inches around three sides of the cement block chimney, and those are def. the places where the water damage is the worst. The rest of the attic has fiberglass batt throughout. One side of the chimney has fiberglass batting flush with the chimney - the side you can't see from the 17" poor-excuse-for-an-attic-access hole.

I live in a 1920's bungalow in Michigan. When we first bought the place 15 years ago, we had the old, gigantic furnace replaced with a new, gas forced air furnace. From what I've read in other posts about insulation and chimneys on this forum, it sounds like some of you are saying that, aside from code requirements, maybe the amount, type, and method of insulating the area around the chimney might vary depending on the method of heating because older type furnaces made the chimney hotter and were more fire hazardous??

I don't get it. I'm so confused. I just want the moisture to cease and desist. Any tips you can give me for fixing this problem are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Esther