+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broken Garage Door

One of the wheels on my garage door came out of its bracket today and won't close. Thankfully, it's in the up position. I don't know if had come out already, but it worked before and now does not. I took a picture of it:

picturepush.com/public/11956926

Is this something I can fix myself? I'm smart, but not particularly handy. It did not seem to move easily, though I didn't inspect it too close as it was pretty cold day. If I can't fix it myself, how much is a repair going to cost me, ballpark of course? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Broken Garage Door

I guess the main question in MY mind is why did the shaft of the track roller come out of its position in the first place--it is usually due to too much flex in the steel side track (on one side or both sides) as the door is pulled up in the opening process, either manually or by a motorized garage door opener.

You can usually get the little shaft of the misaligned roller pin back into its little opening by grasping the bottom of the door and coaxing it back & forth until you eventually get the pin shaft back into position---sometimes you have to coax it back in with a flat-head screwdriver or small crowbar---having a helper wouldn't hurt either---don't flex the door TOO MUCH as your manipulating it; you want to avoid having any other brackets dislodge.

As to the issue of not allowing it to happen again, see if you can support the side track at several locations with one or two steel brackets----even better, see if any of the brackets that hold the side track into position have loosened or have fallen off---also check the side track at the OPPOSITE side of the garage door to also see if any rail holding brackets have loosened or fallen off----the condition you have can occur if EITHER side track on EITHER side is loose or flexes too much whenever the door is closed or opened.

Is this a MANUAL or MOTOR-DRIVEN garage door??? If it's motor-driven, listen closely to the sound of the motor as it opens & closes the door----if it sounds like it's straining, have the gear chain (metal or non-metal) checked out for proper adjustment.

Google "repairing residential garage doors" or "troubleshooting residential garage doors". There's tons of articles about this topic on the internet.
    Last edited by von_steuben; 01-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Be extremely careful working on this particular roller. It has the counter-spring cable attached to it's bracket, which is under extreme load. If you start taking bolts loose or yank on that cable, it can come loose with very hazardous results!

You can probably work with a few basic tools and get the roller shaft back into position. Once you do that, make sure the shaft mounts are not bent which would cause a repeat of this situation.

I suspect that there is a bind somewhere causing the door to cant in the tracks, causing the shaft to come loose from it's moorings. Once you get the shaft back into place, disconnect the door opener and operate the door by hand a few times to see if you can find the problem. It could also just be loose hardware, make sure all the bolts at each hinge/roller are tight, then check the track for being tight and in proper working order, i.e., no damage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

This can be a tough call, but if you do your homework you'll make the right decision.first of all check out the warranty details about the door and you also have to mention the type of door which you are using now.It will be really helpful to the other members to provide the solution. as our garage is supposed to protect from thieves and burglars by keeping our car safe,you need to approach your garage opener manufacturer or get advice from your nearest garage organizer Toronto like garage living as they got a good track record for fixing these issues to an extent

From the photo it looks like your tracks are misaligned. I think you'll be better off calling a garage door man. For the price of a service call, he'll adjust your door, align the rollers and tracks, balance the door and if you ask him nicely, he'll even lubricate all hinges and moving parts.

Another issue is of course the opener. Now is the right time to check your unit (if you have one) and adjust the force up and down.

Thanks all for the replies. I decided to have it looked at. They fixed the pin and said there was something amiss with one of the cables, which they fixed too. It cost me $100, which seemed pretty reasonable. Thanks again.

Good call. IMHO garage door guys are underpaid, as the scar on my left hand can attest to.

I agree - this is the going price for a call service.

I also agree that garage door installers are somewhat underpaid compared to say, lawyers. At least they do some service that you can see, and what exactly do lawyers do?

A friend of mine just paid over $500 to have the counter springs replaced on her door when one broke. I will admit, the access and ease of the job was poor, but $500 seemed a tad steep to me for a couple of springs being replaced. Back when I replaced a few, the springs would cost me $35 to $50 each and usually took an hour or two to replace, all in total of less than $250. Guess I've been out of the game a little longer than I thought!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    A friend of mine just paid over $500 to have the counter springs replaced on her door when one broke. I will admit, the access and ease of the job was poor, but $500 seemed a tad steep to me for a couple of springs being replaced. Back when I replaced a few, the springs would cost me $35 to $50 each and usually took an hour or two to replace, all in total of less than $250. Guess I've been out of the game a little longer than I thought!
    Often, there are two (2) price lists -- one for men, and another for women (e.g., haircuts, auto repair, etc.); and one for lawyers/doctors, and another for other people (contractors, rich neighnorhoods, etc.).

Your female friend may have been given the women's price list.

My repair was $350, and it took 2 planned & 1 unplanned visits.
    First, was the house call, to tell me I needed an overnight special order for a Horizontal spring (Weaver ??). Second visit to install in Texas-like spring weather (I live in the CIA HQ town -- hot & humid, but below 95 degrees). 3rd visit was to fix the failed repair because something was installed backwards.

I made my own adjustment to level the down-position (door had a 1-inch gap on one side when down). From what I can tell, the spring (only 1 for a 9-feet door) doesn't stretch, but it is under a lot of tension when door is lifted.
    I was just glad someon knew how to repair it (1964 original).