+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: which wire is which ?

Quote Originally Posted by Condoman View Post
    Better to use a non-contact voltage detector, no ground needed. They are not that expensive and will probably be put to use again in this home. I like those that use AAA or AA batteries.
    These units are not reliable, if anything else is on the circuit it can give you a voltage indication on the neutral.

JAck
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Sorry to hear you have had problems with these. I have been using them for almost 20 years with no issues. The exception being that the battery died and it was not one easily gotten, that is why I switched to common batteries detectors.

I did have a place it would tell me what I wanted and that was in an old house with the neutral switched and no ground in the box. I build a very long test probe I could connect to a ground to find the hot side.

Quote Originally Posted by Condoman View Post
    Sorry to hear you have had problems with these. I have been using them for almost 20 years with no issues. The exception being that the battery died and it was not one easily gotten, that is why I switched to common batteries detectors.

I did have a place it would tell me what I wanted and that was in an old house with the neutral switched and no ground in the box. I build a very long test probe I could connect to a ground to find the hot side.
    Sometimes that's all you can do.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content