+ Reply to Thread

Default Bottle Jack Size

I recently saw an episode where Tom used a bottle jack to lift a floor joist to install a brace. Any idea what size bottle jack this might have been? I have a selection from 4, 8, 12, 20, and 30 ton jacks and obviously I don't want to overspend for a size I will never ever ever need.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: Bottle Jack Size

From what the size looked like I would say it was a 10 ton jack.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

To raise a single joist, you won't need much. To raise a main support beam, depending on what is above it, you would need 10 to 20 ton capacity.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You notice that in this episode, he operated the jack without a handle, which means the jack was well oversized for this application. I would guess that it was a 10-12 ton jack. I had to jack up the center beam under my house to shim up the piers and it took two 20 ton jacks with 6x6 1/4" think steel plates under the beam to spread the load, at each pier, and it was all those two jacks could handle. Both were brand new.

Too much jack will still do the job, too little is a complete waste of money.

keith is right, i use 20 ton jacks for this sort of application. sometimes its for jacking up individual joists other times its a beam that may have a bearing wall above
    fire up the saw and make some dust