+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default hydro baseboard leaking

My baseboard has apparently been lealing water from a screw on the end. . It isnt the bleed valve but looks to be the connection if you were connecting another section to it i guess. Its rusted a little so im not sure if this is something that can be replaced or if i have to replace the entire baseboard.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: hydro baseboard leaking

of course no one here can say for sure without looking at it but i can't imagine that a plumber wouldn't be able to repair it. i doubt that you'll have to replace a piece of baseboard. call a plumber and have him take a look at it.

I agree with MLB----can you post a photo of the offending pipe section???

From your post, you infer that the leak is at an elbow location; most times a plumber simply shuts down the boiler, shuts off the incoming waer supply, drains approx a gallon from the boiler drain & opens up the offending pipe section with a sawzall with a hack saw blade attached & slips a piece of PEX tubing over the cut, secured with clamps.

Your past posts in April indicate you have 3/4" steel tubing as the CI baseboard connections; if the leak is located in a straightaway section of the piping, instead of an elbow, a heavy rubber patch can be clamped to the offending leak---since the heated water at the baseboards & associated piping is only 12 psi, this should hold up as a permanent fix.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ir-clamps.aspx
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...bing-pipes.htm
    Last edited by Pelton; 01-13-2013 at 08:13 AM.

the problem is not from a section of pipe but the end cap of the baseboard itself. Im never able to upload pictures here so is there a different method of sharing images?
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Maybe this will work
    http://imagebin.org/242820

looks like it's just a fitting that needs to be changed. call a plumber, should be an easy fix

Ah but i am more stubborn than that!

I would like to attempt doing this myself if i can figure out what that is and what to replace it with. The side is some kind of screw which gives me the idea it may be a bleed valve but no outlet for air.