+ Reply to Thread

Default hydro baseboard leaking

My baseboard has apparently been lealing water from a screw on the end. . It isnt the bleed valve but looks to be the connection if you were connecting another section to it i guess. Its rusted a little so im not sure if this is something that can be replaced or if i have to replace the entire baseboard.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: hydro baseboard leaking

of course no one here can say for sure without looking at it but i can't imagine that a plumber wouldn't be able to repair it. i doubt that you'll have to replace a piece of baseboard. call a plumber and have him take a look at it.

I agree with MLB----can you post a photo of the offending pipe section???

From your post, you infer that the leak is at an elbow location; most times a plumber simply shuts down the boiler, shuts off the incoming waer supply, drains approx a gallon from the boiler drain & opens up the offending pipe section with a sawzall with a hack saw blade attached & slips a piece of PEX tubing over the cut, secured with clamps.

Your past posts in April indicate you have 3/4" steel tubing as the CI baseboard connections; if the leak is located in a straightaway section of the piping, instead of an elbow, a heavy rubber patch can be clamped to the offending leak---since the heated water at the baseboards & associated piping is only 12 psi, this should hold up as a permanent fix.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ir-clamps.aspx
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...bing-pipes.htm
    Last edited by Pelton; 01-13-2013 at 08:13 AM.

the problem is not from a section of pipe but the end cap of the baseboard itself. Im never able to upload pictures here so is there a different method of sharing images?
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Maybe this will work
    http://imagebin.org/242820

looks like it's just a fitting that needs to be changed. call a plumber, should be an easy fix

Ah but i am more stubborn than that!

I would like to attempt doing this myself if i can figure out what that is and what to replace it with. The side is some kind of screw which gives me the idea it may be a bleed valve but no outlet for air.

depending on how your heating system is set up, one possibility is that if you take out that fitting, all the water from the radiators on the floor above would drain down through that hole. no matter whether that is true or not, the system has to be drained to some degree. then it has to be refilled and bled. some things are best left to a plumber such as heating your house, if you wish to change a faucet, go for it. if you cross thread the fitting a new hole will have to be tapped. if you don't fill and bleed the radiators properly they won't heat up. you also have to know how to drain the system down at the furnace.....change a faucet and make a mistake, it can be remedied easily or just spend another $1oo on a new faucet....do something wrong on your heating system and you could end up spending many hundreds of dollars to repair your mistakes.

What you have is cast-iron baseboard. (great system) If your capable of draining and venting the system then drain the system and remove the large bushing and replace it with a 3/4" plug.

John

I agree with John.

Measure the fitting to determine its diameter and replace it with the 3/4" plug, or whatever size it measures; these cast iron or galvanized fittings generally come as REDUCING BUSHINGS, where you would have a 3/4" reducing bushing with a 1/8" hole in the middle which is filled with a 1/8" brass manual air vent, using a dab of pipe joint compound; the manual vent can then be opened with a screwdriver blade to vent any air that inevitably accumulates---this appears to be the present setup you have now as noted in your submitted photo.

The sites below contains a number of reducing bushings; items #8 and #28 on Page 2, among others are generally what you're looking for.

These parts should be available at low cost at HD/Lowe's, or even better, to avoid a thread mismatch, get the mfg brand name of the cast iron baseboard you have (Burnham, etc) and consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Equipment--Parts & Supplies" for a heating parts house in your area---the parts house will have a catalog specifying the fittings required for your particular brand of cast iron baseboard, and will fix you up with the exact parts you need for this job.

http://www.google.com/search?q=image...w=1024&bih=768
    http://2.imimg.com/data2/KI/OO/MY-/u...-1-250x250.jpg
    Last edited by Pelton; 01-14-2013 at 10:10 PM.