+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default What tool is recommended for cutting door threshold?

Hi All,

If you wanted to cut the entire metal or wood door threshold nosing flush with the door side casings what tool would you use...Ive been thinking purchasing the multi purpose cs450 dual saw...the only thing that concerns me how would you prevent the blades from scraping and damaging the casings...

http://www.dualsaw.com/products/dual...day-cs450.html
    Last edited by tonyc56; 01-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Default Re: What tool recommended for cutting door threshold

i use a sawzall all the time for that job.

HTML Code:
    i use a sawzall all the time for that job.
    Wouldn't that be hard to cut a straight line...

if you've never used or rarely used a sawzall it might not be the best choice. you can use a circular saw to get rid of about 3/4 of the material if you're comfortable using one. if you have no experience you might want to buy, rent or borrow a multi tool. it will just take a while to make the cut. if you do decide to use a multi tool make sure that you make your cut at an angle of 10 degrees or more. if you make a straight down (nicely vertical) cut, when you're done you won't be able to pry up one side because it will catch against the other piece.

Hi MLB...

Not sure I understand the part "make sure that you make your cut at an angle of 10 degrees or more. if you make a straight down (nicely vertical) cut, when you're done you won't be able to pry up one side because it will catch against the other piece."

Also what do you think about the CS45O Dual saw...

Thanks

i've seen them but i've never used one. i believe rockler makes one too. it won't make a full cut like a sawzall or multi tool will because of the round blade. wouldn't it be the same as using a circular saw?

imagine you're kneeling at your threshold, with it going across from left to right in front of you. now if you cut straight through the middle with any saw, you'll have a vertical cut line going straight up and down. now when you try to pry up either the left or right side it's going to bind against the opposite side making it difficult to get up.

now imagine making the same cut but instead of making it a straight up and down cut, you tilt the bevel of the saw to, let's say, 10 or 15 degrees. now the cut through the middle is still straight across the middle but the cut is beveled to one side. now you can easily put your pry bar into the cut and pop up one of the sides without having the other side of the threshold get in the way.