+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot Water in One Bathroom/Lukewarm Water in the Other

We recently bought a home this past March.
    We have two bathrooms, both on the second floor. They are at a distance of really, just a couple of feet. The bathroom in the master bedroom gets hot water; I mean, comfortably hot and just right. The bathroom in the hall however, gets barely lukewarm water. The water was a bit of an issue then but manageable.
    Now that it's winter, oh boy! Are the kids complaining!
    We have two bathrooms, both on the second floor. They are at a distance of really, just a couple of feet. The bathroom in the master bedroom gets hot water; I mean, comfortably hot and just right. The bathroom in the hall however, gets barely lukewarm water.
    Both bathrooms were redone at the same time with the exact same tub and faucet fixtures.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Why is 1 bathroom getting hot water but the other gets barely lukewarm water when they're both barely 3 feet apart?

Thank you!

Default Re: Hot Water in One Bathroom/Lukewarm Water in the Other

It could just be an adjustment of a temp control valve.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It could be a bad cartridge in the tub or shower mixing valve. They will sometimes allow the cold water to mix with the hot.

John

I agree with the above 2 posts; if it is possible to talk to the previous owners, you may be able to get some insight as to how the hot water lines in the 2 bathrooms are piped, & perhaps the location of any shutoff valves/mixing valves/anti-scald valves, etc.---otherwise you will have to do a "detective search" starting at the boiler/hot water heater to determine how the pipes are routed up to the bathrooms & how they make any branches/diversions, & if there are any shutoff valves anywhere along the way.

The site below has images of the various mixing valves/tempering valves widely in use for hot water piping---the older piping often has a round, black plastic handle on the valve---often over the months/years gunk/crud clogs up the mixing/tempering valve---so if you find one, open & close it several times to see if you can loosen up the flow of HW---you can get a much larger image of each valve by clicking on that particular item so you can see the wide variations in HW bathroom/water heater piping that exist.

Also try running the HW faucet that ISN'T producing much HW for 5 or 10 minutes full blast to see if that clears out the line.

http://www.google.com/search?q=image...GUo4C4Cw&ved=O
    cfuqsAQ&biw=1024&bih=768
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.

That's nothing, the old house I grew up in had the water heater on the opposite side of the wall from the bathroom sink. It took over a minute for hot water to get there.

There was about 30 feet of pipe between the two. You see, it had been subject to countless remodels. Eventually Dad & I replumbed the entire house and fixed those annoyances.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks all for the insight.

Both bathroom tubs use a single-handed shower knob. For that one bathroom with the issue, the hot water in the sink is just fine. It's just the tub.

The house was a short sale so no possible way to speak with the previous owners. Being it was a short sale, we had to replace both tubs in both bathrooms.

After reading everyone's comments and doing a bit more researching,I'm starting to suspect it might be clogging at the stem or a bad shower cartridge? Either case, I hired a contractor to do all that work in my bathroom and I am far from happy if that's the case and it's starting to feel like that is the case.
    Last edited by SLChase; 01-14-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling