Poll: Toe Kick Heaters do they work?

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Toe Kick Heaters

Is there some reliable/recent information available on the quality of Toe Kick Heaters? This option was recommended by my Kitchen planner/designer at Home Depot to replace a radiator in my old/small kitchen. My house is a 120 year old smaller Greek Revival in the Boston MA area. I could really use the space created by eliminating the forced hot water radiator, but I also need the heat.
    Everything that I have read on this product seems to indicate that either they don't work or they are too loud, but the information is also from 2008. Has this product improved??? Is there a brand/type that works better than the others? Please Help!
    Thank you.

Default Re: Toe Kick Heaters

Amanda,

Yes, kickspace heaters (toe Kick) have been around for decades, and are an integral part of hydronic (hot water) heating components, filling an important role especially in kitchens and bathrooms, where there is limited space; thus they are an ideal solution to replace radiators and baseboard in kitchens where it is often impossible to use anything else due to space restrictions.

The trick is to have the toe-kick, or toe-kicks PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED by a licensed heating contractor who is experienced in working on hydronic heating systems and is experienced in installing kickspace heaters (consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Contractors"), or better, consult one of the contractor-evaluating services such as Angie's List, or the Better Business Bureau---they will give you a list of those contractors in your area who have been hired in the recent past by homeowners and did a good job of installing the heating element (of course, some contractors do a BAD JOB of installation---these are listed as well).

When you talk to a selected, recommended heating contractor, make sure you ask them if they are experienced in installing kickspace heaters, and ask how many they have installed in recent years---recommended brands would be Beacon-Morris, Myson Whispa 50/Myson II 5000, or Smith's THE QUIET ONE (KS 2006-2010) by Yaun. Co.---there are a number of other mfgrs, but emphasize to the contractor that you want one that is QUIET in operation and puts out enough heat to adequately warm the kitchen.

The great advantage of a kickspace heater (or 2 of them, if needed) is that they are only approx 3" high X 20" wide---and thus can be cut into the base of the kitchen cabinets, take up next to no valuable space, and when properly installed, work great in providing adequate, quiet heat for the kitchen.

Of course, you have every right to insist that the unit(s) perform as advertised---if you have any problems with noise or low heat performance, the contractor is obligated to come back as often as it takes to get the units working to your satisfaction (otherwise you can give them a bad review on Angie's List or the Better Business Bureau)---we've reached a new era in homeowners hiring home-improvement contractors---the LAST thing a contractor wants these days is to get a BAD REVIEW on one of these performance lists services---they won't stay in business very long if they keep getting bad reviews---nobody will hire them!

http://pexsupply.com/KickSpace-Heaters-664000
    http://www.myson.co.uk/products/kickspace.asp
    http://www.emersonswan.com/ckfinder/...files/pop6.pdf
    Last edited by Pelton; 01-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Thank You Very Much!!

I installed Toester units for quite a few years. A few were true kick space heaters, ie, under a cabinet, but most were wall mount, either flush with the wall or surface mount if you didn't want to cut a hole in the wall.

They do need some maintenance, usually removing the cover and vacuuming the fins and motor. I installed a surface mount in our laundry room because there had never been any heat there. I tapped into the supply from another heat zone and connected to a nearby outlet for power.

You can also install them as dedicated heat zones for fairly accurate temperature control.

Amanda
    We bought a house last year that was built in 1978. It had 2 toe kick heaters in the kitchen. They were loud but it turned out the fan bearings were worn. We replaced both. The new units are now very quiet. You can hear them running but just a very low hum of the fan. They put out a lot of heat which is great for these chilly mornings on Cape Cod. They cost about $165 each, sorry I forget the brand. I do believe Home Depot sells them. Same brand as what our plumber supplied.
    I highly recommend them.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! Based on all these recommendations we are going to take a chance, with the kick space/toe kick heaters, and create some much needed space in my little old kitchen!