+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: please help improve the curb appeal

I didn't care for the arch, that is what really turned me off to option 2 because it stood out too much, but those colors made the arches seem unbalanced as well. Spanish architecture is about subtle color changes and earthtones. The arch is OK in option 1 because it doesn't stand out, but in option 2, it becomes an eyesore. It looks like a unibrow.

Well, as your request, here are:

the arch - option 1
    socalhomeaway.com/photoshop%20ridge%20frt.jpg

No arch - option 2
    socalhomeaway.com/no%20arch%20ridge%20frt.jpg

Now
    socalhomeaway.com/ridge%20front.jpg

And one last question
    If you are a buyer, assuming everything else being the same, how many more percentage $$ that you would offer to buy the house.

Thanks

I like the arches, including the connecting arch between the windows on the left. IMHO, it ties everything together.

As for improved value, who knows, that is totally dependent upon the area in which you live and the market at the time you decide to sell.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think I wasn't clear. I liked the arches over the porch. The only arch I didn't like was the one between the two windows when you used the lighter paint for the trim. In the current trim color, the one that is closer to the body color, it all looks nice.

If you do go with the paint and the ridge frt.jpg, formally option 1, You could add a medium sized tile mosaic or wrought iron art piece between the windows and the arch would act like a frame for it. Just something to think about for a down the road project.

I just didn't like the arch in that off white color. Oh I just looked at the ridge frt.jpg again and I noticed the sun sculpture, that really ties it together. I just didn't like the off white trim color in the former option 2.

Nice changes in the landscaping too I might add. You have a talent for design.

Thank for the nice words. I watched too many TOH and HGTV curb appeals shows.
    Will post the "real" picture when I complete the project.

Looking forward to them.

Just my 2 cents:

How are you going to do it all for $5,000.00 even when stretched?

I just spent $1K on the stone and veneer stone at 60% off. Will do most of the labor. Depending how you shop, craiglist is great. it should be ok. I may take a while to complete the project.
    Can't spent more than what I dont have.
    Thanks for the warning

There's some great advice by the posters before me, as a general rule of thumb, I would say it's always best to fix all structural and safety issues AND drainage issues before you think about decorating and landscaping.
    If you don't address all of these first, then any money you spend on decorative resurfacing or plants will be wasted.
    Once you have the structure in place, it's relatively cheap to paint and add some nice foliage to add colour.
    Good luck with your renovations.

No problem with drainage,
    the structure is the loose railings and the porch floor between the columns. which made me start thinking of doing the job.
    Thanks for the warning?
    Anyone knows about "desert crete" or "miraflex" coating system?