+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: please help improve the curb appeal

Where I think you will need another I beam is where those front columns are right now. You can leave the column on the far right end, but you will need the beam to go from there to the gable end of the house. That looks like too long a span for a wood beam. even an LVL would have to be about 20" wide so that would hang down a lot. You might even have to open up the wall where the beam would tie in to put a steel post from the beam to a new footing at the ground level. There will probably be a lot of weight.

It might be possible though to get away with a lighter beam if the ceiling joists are fully cantilevered. I can't tell from the pictures. But anyway those existing columns would just get in the way of a porch extension.

I guess I can't appreciate just how narrow the porch is. It looked to me like it might be 3 to 4' deep. Four feet would be sufficient I would think, three is a bit narrow. How about this, leave the roof alone, frame in the arches like you are planning on, and the area below the porch, but put in one or two bow (bay, arched) balcony's with a curved wrought iron railing, kind of like you see in the old Spanish architecture. You could put a small wrought iron (looking) cafe set on each one.

BTW, you are wrong about that circle garden, it is beautiful, but then I like landscaping to look as native and natural as possible. There are no weeds, just bio-diversity.

If you don't need that driveway to circle, and it appears that you have a parking area off to the right side of the house in your first picture, then I really would consider getting rid of it and putting in a patio.

I have another thought for you. Porches don't add a lot of value to a house. They are enjoyable and do help sell a house, but heated square footage is worth more. Have you considered bumping out the front of the house to enclose the porch area. If the ceiling joist goes all the way out to the roof line, that is they are cantilevered right now, this might not cost much more than what you are planning right now.

If the floor joists for the porch are cantilevered from the house, that will be even better. If both the porch ceiling and floor are cantilevered, you can take down the brick columns that are so out of place for your house. If not, then it gets more complicated but it can be done. Then build a balcony out from there, a sliding glass door or french doors to the balcony and you have the perfect spot for a morning espresso.

Thank so much for those ideas, A. Bruce and Keith. Here is what I can "photoshoped" in just so I can visualize it

Before:
    socalhomeaway.com/ridge%20front.jpg

After:
    socalhomeaway.com/photoshop%20ridge%20frt.jpg

I think I can make it within $5K, since I dont change any existing structure, 1/2 of it save on permit. Just add a foot or so extension to the deck, between the columns, make it a 2 half round balconies, with belly type wrought iron railing. I saw and love it. The stucco and stone work takes time, but I can do it slowly.

Any comment or suggestions? paint color? stone color? etc

That looks nice.

That is an improvement.

Be aware that stone and tile are very heavy, so you will need to build your steps and porch to withstand it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I am getting close.
    The columns would have stone veneer, so it should be light, the deck/porch would have cement layer but not stone, dont know how yet, but the existing cement surface is durable.
    Yes, the steps need to be reconstructed, that is where I might hire out.
    One more compare with the trims
    now
    socalhomeaway.com/ridge%20front.jpg
    option 1
    socalhomeaway.com/photoshop%20ridge%20frt.jpg
    option 2
    socalhomeaway.com/photoshop%20ridge%20frtW.jpg

Thanks so much A. Bruce and Keith for guiding me thru this

I like option one better because it incorporates the windows with the trim, as opposed to the other where the windows are not trimmed. As for color, you can obviously go with any color combination you like. If you're going to be doing that much work to the front of the house, you'll likely be repainting the whole facade to blend it all together. I personally like the trim to contrast with the body color, I would think that something to pick up the color of the brick veneer would be good, which would tie the trim and brick work together.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If this is up for a vote, and I think you can do a survey here for people to vote on, my vote would go for option 1. Option 2 makes the trim stand out too much.

Detail questions?
    • Should I, or do I need the curve that connect the 2 windows on the left of the house to balance with the right or it is too much curve?
    • should the stair be curved or just straight pan out? should the steps follow the pattern?
    • does anyone knows of sources to by these foam for exterior molding? than can be customized
    • Should I use the new decking material or should I stay with cement base material?

Again, Thenks

For whatever reason, my last post went to "moderator approval", which is short for "we'll never see that post again".

I like option 1 the best, with the arch between the windows. IMHO it needs to be there for balance. It really makes that bland wall pop and ties the whole wall together. Also, option 1 trims the windows in the larger trim, which again helps to tie it all together.

The stairs can do anything you want them to do, I'd stick with a more traditional straight stair than having it curve or flair to mimic the arches. You'll also add quite a bit of expense to get fancy with the stairs, since stairs are not an easy thing to do.

The trim foam should be available at any supplier of stucco products. You'll probably have to go to a specialty supplier and not Evil Orange or it's ilk. Not sure what you mean about being able to customize the trim. It is simply foam, so you can cut and bend it in any manner you like. If you're talking about custom profiles, you might be able to get something special or make your own, but in all honesty, I don't think the time, hassle, or expense would be worth it. Stick with a stock profile.

This, IMO, is a personal preference call. I personally don't care for concrete porches, though they are extremely durable and easy to maintain. Wood is nice, but it tends to splinter and check over time, not to mention rot if it's not protected. Since you're veneering the columns, what about choosing a similar colored flagstone for your finished porch surface?