+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower drain pipe wobbles back and forth

Just bought a home and have discovered that our shower drain wobbles about 1/4" back and forth. This is just enough that it slowly pulls any caulk we apply away from the shower floor, allowing the water to seep around the outside of the pipe. We know nothing about plumbing and all our searches tell us we need to remove the whole shower, which seems a bit overboard!

We are newbies, so if anyone has a good detailed explanation on how to grout/caulk/ or otherwise attach this pipe so it doesn't move, it would be much appreciated.

Oh yes, the house is pier and beam and all plumping underneath the house is apparently free-standing. For example, I can slightly shake the entire pipe that runs from the hot water heater to he shower. Not sure if that is normal either.

Default Re: Shower drain pipe wobbles back and forth

For starters, stop shaking your pipes, they are not designed to be interacted with in that manner, you will eventually find a problem if you keep doing that, even if all of your pipes are perfectly installed. Depending on what kind of drain setup you have, you may just be able to replace your drain itsself and be safe from there. Pics would help, crawl under there with the camera

Thanks for the quick response, I will get under the house and snap some photos in the morning. And yes, I agree--pipes are not meant to be shaken. I bumped against the system (lightly) and was surprised to find it easily moved. Don't worry, I am not repeatedly crawling under the house and rattling the pipes!

The drain does not sit quite flush and shifts if you accidentally step on it.

Take some above pics too, if you have a less expensive shower pan instead of a nice tiled shower, you may be able to just change out the drain due to ease of access. First floor bathroom on pier and beam can make it easier to fix, it is the reason I will be repiping almost all of my water supplies eventually.

Is this a fiberglass shower pan (or one piece stall) or is this a tile covered mortar bed shower pan?