+ Reply to Thread

Default Broken door jam fix or replace?

I have a situation with a front door where the door has been kicked in and the jam is broken where the dead bolt and door lock strike plate is located. How can I repair this without replacing the whole jam?

Default Re: Broken door jam fix or replace?

it can definitely be repaired but we can't tell you how to do it without seeing it. how to repair it depends on what the damage looks like. is it cracked, broken, is there a piece missing? any chance you can post a pic or a link to a pic?

Before you worry too much about the jamb, make sure the door hasn't been damaged as well. Sure, the jamb is the first to let loose, but it usually bends (metal doors ) or breaks (wood doors ) across the area of the bolt.

Sometimes a damaged door can be repaired with a reinforcing plate that slips over the edge of the door, other times you have to replace the door. If you have to replace the door, then it will be easier to replace everything with a new prehung door than to try to repair the damage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

this is a pic of my problem from the break it goes all the way to the ground. Door is fine.

Tried to post a pic but it would not attach. if you have an email i could send the pics.

Apparently this site requires you have 20 or better posts before you can email anything to others. So I guess I'm SOL.

I've repaired a couple of these myself, and believe me, they won't get kicked in again, unless its by an elephant. Door jams are so poorly installed by contractors that I can believe that the door was not damaged, not even phased.

You have a long vertical crack. You can glue this back together and clamp till the glue dries. Remove all the interior trim pieces. Position the jamb back in the doorway. Now get a board whose thickness matches the gap between the jamb and the frame of the house. You will have to experiment to find one with the best fit, you can even use two if need be but it needs to go as far as possible from the top to the bottom of the gap. It does not need to go quite all the way, but at least 18" above and below the lock set. You may even have to do a little planing or sanding to get it to fit if the gap has a taper in it.

Now get some construction adhesive and glue both sides of this board between the jamb and the frame. Use some 3.5" coated deck screws with the self starting tip, one every 6" to secure this board between the jamb and the frame. You do need to predrill in the jamb a little and countersink for the screw head or you risk splitting the jamb again.

As an alternative to the screws, you can use 16d nails if you want. Rebore the holes for the lockset and the dead bolt. for the dead bolt, get the longest strike plate you can find that will fit between it and the lockset, usually about 6" long with 6 screw holes. If you can find a long strike plate that will cover both the lockset and the deadbolt and has the right spacing, use it. You will need a good sharp chisel to mortise for the strike plate.

Use 3.5" long screws for the strike plate. The best screws are at Lowes, self drilling and self tapping, stainless steel, hex drive screws. They carry a 9 x 3.5" in the store but I don't see it on line here

http://www.lowes.com/pd_123844-37672...t_avg_rating|1

Now when this side is done, remove the trim from the hinge side. You can use three shorter boards cut to fit behind each hinge, but they should be at least a foot long each. Again, glue into place with construction adhesive and use at least two 16d nails or 3" screws on each side, in addition to two of those 3.5" screws used in the strike plate. Use the long screws on the two holes that are nearest the center of the jamb, the outer ones will barely hit the wall stud unless you go in at a slight angle.

If you have wood doors, then look into a reinforcing plate for the lock set. A wrap around type would be the strongest, but it is also more visible. One thing to making your home secure is to not make it look too secure. The more secure it looks, the more attractive it looks to criminals and they will come prepared. It is best to keep a low profile and if one tries, you want to catch them unprepared. For that reason, a reinforcing plate on the inside only might be a better choice, but I'm kinda partial to the metal door overall. Use a long plate on the door side if the lockset will allow that, most don't.

Do all the doors to your house, even the one inside the garage.