+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold air between floor/carpet and baseboards

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? The house is 20 years old, is in NE Ohio, sits over a full basement and I have already insulated all of the outlets. The windows are new.
    The previous owners replaced all of the carpeting and installed hardwood floors prior to selling to us 1 year ago.

Now that it is winter and I've sealed up every imaginable draft, I've discovered that there is quite a cold air leak coming from where the carpeting and hardwood floors meet the baseboards around the outside walls. The hardwood was easier to "remedy", but am stumped with the carpet.

Rijell
    Last edited by rijell4; 01-20-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: More info about problem

Default Re: Cold air between floor/carpet and baseboards

Here is a good place to start.Pull back the carpet see if you can see behind the baseboard and stuff foam rope( its used for filling expansion joints on buildings) in the crack -expanding foam works but some times it comes out in places you don't want it to.If you have a crawl space get under there and do the same.
    I'm sure you will have a ton of other people writing in to help you.Make sure you use gaskets on all your outlets also.
    Here is a thermal picture of what an uninsulated outlet and window look like. The outlets are a source for cold air infiltration also.
    www.infraredsurvey.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	www.infraredsurvey.com window.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	577  

Quote Originally Posted by rijell4 View Post
    Does anyone have a solution for this problem? The house is 20 years old, is in NE Ohio, sits over a full basement and I have already insulated all of the outlets. The windows are new.
    The previous owners replaced all of the carpeting and installed hardwood floors prior to selling to us 1 year ago.

Now that it is winter and I've sealed up every imaginable draft, I've discovered that there is quite a cold air leak coming from where the carpeting and hardwood floors meet the baseboards around the outside walls. The hardwood was easier to "remedy", but am stumped with the carpet.

Rijell

So how did you fix your hardwood? Ours also feels very cold especially on the north wall.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-n-squeal View Post
    So how did you fix your hardwood? Ours also feels very cold especially on the north wall.
    You need to access the space behind the baseboard where the wall meets the sub floor and apply a generous bead of caulk to seal out the drafts or you could try stuffing foam backer rod.
    Last edited by canuk; 01-26-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: forgot the "t" in stuffing

I would like to recommend you to a thermal imgaging camera rental compay called Electro Rent Corporation - just google them and you'll find them. $35 bucks a day for the FLIR camera to find your cold spots. I just did this last weekend and I plan to use the next month to fix the problems, good luck. Once you see the image, you'll know where to attack it.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-n-squeal View Post
    After removing the quarter-round trim, I found a good half inch opening where the hardwood ended . I first tried strips of regular insulation pieces, but could still feel cold air 'whisps" and the floor still felt cold farther away. So, I removed this insulation wadding and used the Great Stuff foam sealer.

I aimed the nozzle deep into the opening and laid down a line the width of the opening. After a few seconds, I repeated this process till the foam was not quite even with the opening to allow for final expansion.

In places where the foam expanded a little too much, I used a gloved finger(damp)to smooth/remove the excess, allowed to cure and re-attached trim.

Has worked great! No cold air leaks and floor feels noticeably warmer. May not be how the professionals would do it but, "what ever works"

Rijell

This is great advice. I am going through the same process of sealing the air leaks in my upstairs bedroom which has one cantilevered wall. That wall gives me so much headache. Removing the quarter-round trim and sealing the gap might be a solution for me as well.