+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Frozen PEX lines in a soffit.

So, I ended up removing the foam pipe wrap insulation, and applying heat tape to the copper/PEX lines inside the house, and insulating the heck out of any soffit space where it would allow in any draft or cold air. So far, so good!

Thanks for the help!
    - Oz
    EOD - Initial Success or Total Failure!
    DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. 1998-2013 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Problem's been fixed! Once I got the heat tape installed along the copper pipes, taped down, and the entire thing re-insulated, I haven't had a problem yet!

Now the only question I have, is how to keep power to the heat tape. Currently it's on an extension cord running back into the unfinished basement. I'd considered running Romex out to a GFCI receptacle in between the floor joists, which will give it some fault protection, and also theoretically act as a 'seasonal switch.' I thought of doing a home run straight back to the panel too. . . but I'm not sure what would be to code.

Any ideas? I'd post pictures, but I need to increase my post count first. . .

- Oz
    DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. 1998-2013 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by EODOswald View Post
    I'd considered running Romex out to a GFCI receptacle in between the floor joists, which will give it some fault protection, and also theoretically act as a 'seasonal switch.' I thought of doing a home run straight back to the panel too. . . but I'm not sure what would be to code.
    Just remember that all electrical connections (including outlets) must be in an "accessible" location, which could be behind a removable access panel. If it requires a saw or sledgehammer to access, then it's not accessible.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 02-13-2013 at 01:32 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Just remember that all electrical connections (including outlets) must be in an "accessible" location, which could be behind a removable access panel. If it requires a saw or sledgehammer to access, then it's not accessible.
    Absolutely follow what you're saying. Thankfully, my access to the soffit has been through a removable panel from underneath the soffit, which also gives you access to the area between floor joists where the trap for the tub is and the PEX lines I had trouble with before.

- Oz