+ Reply to Thread

Default Studs are 37" on center

Good thing I have shiplap to reinforce my structure. Now to decide how far to one side of the room my tv goes.

Default Re: Studs are 37" on center

How do you know your studs are 37" oc?

Cut a hole to run recessed outlet/in wall cable boxes. 7" square hole, just reach the tape measure right in. Of course that does not mean all studs are 37" center, just the two where I want to put my tv.

maybe it's just an old covered up door or window opening

I am pretty confident it is an original interior wall, shiplap is uninterrupted through it, plus it has none of the characteristics of my non-original walls. I still have all of the confidence in the world in this wall, just another fun characteristic of 100+ year old construction methods. At least the wall is interior and does not bear the load of a living space.

My advice: install blockings from one stud to the other, where you want your TV mounted, if you can.

If you have the wall hanger, you know where the bolts will go in, so you can place your blockings accordingly.

To insert the blocking into the wall, you need access - so cut the wall finish.

Don't like this idea? use a TV stand.

Don't hang your TV, no matter how light weight it is, using anchors, toggle bolts, etc.